Xantia Crankshaft Bolt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walcit

Xantia Crankshaft Bolt

Post by walcit »

1.9d lx Xantia. Which way do you turn the crankshaft pully bolt to take it off (as you look at it). I just cant get it off!!!! :evil:
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Xantia Crankshaft Bolt

Post by Kowalski »

walcit wrote:1.9d lx Xantia. Which way do you turn the crankshaft pully bolt to take it off (as you look at it). I just cant get it off!!!! :evil:
Its a standard right hand thread, so you need to turn it anti-clockwise. The bolt has thread lock on it so if you get the engine hot (or at least warm) beforehand that will help to soften it.

I didn't have any trouble with the ones I've done, I used an 1/2" drive 18" breaker bar but I had the engine locked solid with the pin in behind the starter as well as 5th gear and the handbrake on. If you don't lock it up solid you won't be able to shock it which might be what you need to do to get it to move.

There are stories on here about people having real trouble shifting that bolt and people have had to resort to using the starter motor to help them shift it (I wouldn't recomment that). Use the search function above if you want to find out more...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Definately need the engine hot. Last time I did this the engine was hot but in the time it took me to remove the plastic under tray it had cooled sufficiently to make removal of the bolt impossible. Ran the engine up to temp again and out it came.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have on more than one occasion had to use a four foot tube as an extension to get sufficient leverage. On one XM the ammount of force needed caused the clutch to slip! So,I had to remove the bottom flywheel cover and jam a large screwdriver between the edge of the housing and the into starter gear ring, then pull, that did it! If you have a flywheel locking pin of the right diameter, and you can get it in! that's the best route.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

xantia Crankshaft Bolt

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
To get crankshaft pulley bolt undone easily, fit a good socket or ringspanner on head of bolt, turn crank so that spanner/socket is jammed against body ( anticlockwise ), then just give starter a flick. Instant bolt undo. It`s how the trade do it, and will do no harm.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds fair enough, I will try it next time.
walcit

Post by walcit »

Managed to get it off. Got it off by using a very long bar from above. It took some go though!! Just glad that its out. I ould see after taking it off there was a lot of locktite on it :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done! You need to put it back on tight to, although I havn't had a problem, I have heard horror stories of them coming loose and chewing the crankshaft up!
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

I have done this a few times (on BX's) using a 1/2" socket with a long extension bar resting on an axle stand close to the bolt.
Adjust the axle stand so that the extension is parallel to the ground, fix a breaker bar into the extension and then a 5ft + scaffold tube and lean on it.
Never failed ...............so far.

Not as exiting as using the starter motor but very controlled.

Dave.