Hydraulic system Pressure Test In M.O.T ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Hydraulic system Pressure Test In M.O.T ???

Post by Nomad »

Hi All

This is just a quick question about MOT's

Yesterday i got my Xantia MOT'ed (it passed with no problem :) ) and the inspector connected a pressure gauge to some part of the Hydraulic system under the bonnet.
I asked him what he was doing, and he said "that they had to check the hydraulic system pressure on Citroen's as part of the MOT"

OK that does make a lot of sense to me, as so much depends on it.

I am just wondering if it is the same in England or any other country as it is here in Germany.

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Where did he connect it ???

Although the idea of testing the pressure is good in principle, it can't be done without "disturbing" the hydraulic piping, and potentially causing leaks if they aren't careful about refitting the pipes just right.

In particular the large pipes coming off the regulator on some models use flanged type connectors without seals and they are quite fussy about the exact alignment of the pipe to prevent it leaking...

Here in New Zealand the MOT have absolutely *NO* idea about Citroen's..... some (but not all) stations will still even fail the rear brakes on an unloaded Citroen due to the automatic brake compensation, let alone do any Citroen specific tests... :roll:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its not part of the test that I've ever heard of before!! If the system isn't pressurised, then the brakes and suspension won't work, and it'll fail on that but that would be obvious without the need for pressure testing, and the accumulator would be clicking like mad if pressure is very low anyway.

Testers are not allowed to dismantle anything, so where he connected it to, goodness knows.

If, for example, you have a fancy exhaust trim and the tester can't get the emissions probe in, then he has to fail the car on emissions as he's not permitted to remove the trim, even though it may only push on.......
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi

I'm not sure exactly where he fitted it, all i can say is it was to-wards the front middle of the engine bay. It only took him a minuet to do it.
I will have a look see tomorrow and see i can see where he connected it to.

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If he only took a minute to do it - there are 2 options :

1) later hydraulic Citroens sold in Germany have a special connector or pressure gauge fitted - not found in other countries.
2) he did not test the pressure - he just looked for any signs of leaks. Because opening a pressure line, inserting a Tee-piece, read off the pressure and clean up again the mess - would take at least some 15-20min's. There is no provision to read off the pressure on standard road Citroens.

Never heard about in UK, DK, Sweden, Norway or Finland.

You're sure you did not mis-understood what the tester told you ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

AndersDK wrote:If he only took a minute to do it - there are 2 options :

1) later hydraulic Citroens sold in Germany have a special connector or pressure gauge fitted - not found in other countries.
Seems the authorities in Germany have less of a clue about Citroen Mechanicals than Citroen dealers do. :lol:
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hej Anders -

What do you mean by "later" Citroëns?

My '98 XM TD2.5 was originally sold in Germany. Where would I find this connector (if it's got one)?

//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

NiSk wrote:Hej Anders -

What do you mean by "later" Citroëns?

My '98 XM TD2.5 was originally sold in Germany. Where would I find this connector (if it's got one)?

//NiSk
Thats exactly my question ! - as I've never heard of such things before 8)
Your german "born" '98 definately does not have such a "device" - and I think Tony is referring to something else.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A pressure gauge is not needed to test the system anyway if its working properly as the regulator does the job for you by ticking occasionally!

Its certainly not a requirement for the UK MOT test.
jeremy