No water from the windscreen pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drewmunn

No water from the windscreen pump

Post by drewmunn »

seems like i have a break in the line that takes the water to the two windscreen water ejectors (or whatever they are called) also one of them is missing. A) are they easy to get hold of b) would this fail an MOT

thanks ppl.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Hello- what car???

They are called screen washer jets.

Depending on what it is they should be easy to get hold of-either the scrappers or a universal washer jet from a spares shop-they all stock replacement pipe as well if you need that- just ask for screen washer pipe and show them a bit of the old one for the diameter.

Yes, if they don't work it is an MOT fail, and at this time of the year if they don't work, rather dangerous as well!!!!!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi this happened on my Xantia recently. The inlet pipe to the jets enters a rubber strip that runs along the bonnet edge. Mine had fallen out at this point, wasn't completely obvious until i traced the line back.

Hope this helps
John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is drew's first posting :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17992
- so he thought we'll remember forever what car he has :lol:

Drew : write in your car spec in the signature field in your forum member personal profile :wink:
John : you're invited to do the same 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
charger

Post by charger »

had the exact same problem with my xantia,the pipe gets brittle and if you open the bonnet too far it snaps,if you trace the pipe back towards the windscreen under the bonnet there is a little clip that is where mine went,dont try to replace the whole lenth of pipe as it is very fiddly ,
just clean up the edges of the break and get a small piece of pipe that has a slightly bigger diameter to join the two ends of the original,
if it wont go over soak the bigger pipe in hot water and enlarge it with a pencil once you have slipped it over both ends just use some tape or cable ties to secure the ends
charger

Post by charger »

sorry to state the obvious but if you try activate the washers can you hear the pump and is there water coming out somewhere ie the wing or underneath the car ,because if not it could be the fuse or it may not even have water in the bottle
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

To the admin guys:

Would it be possible to stick a 'sticky' at the top of the forum, with caps on for the title saying...'TELL US THE CAR YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT'...or something like that,

as people will see this really before other posts and hopefully before they post their 'first' thread.

Within the sticky if they click into it, ask them to tell us their car in the profile as a back up measure :)

Just a thought laddys and ladettes
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

Point taken about what car i have, hopefully shld appear on my sig.

Anyway fixed 80% of problem - fixed the broken cable with the trick of putting a bigger outer on the other and joining them, only bit left now is i have found that one of the washers, the left one had snapped off. Now i luckily found it in a recess - what luck. Anyway what ADHESIVE would anyone recommend to join it back on, or wouldnt it work with the water etc - Araldite or anything out there better? Or get another - if so from where?

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd recommend spending <£2 each for new ones from the Cit Dealer - or even cheaper if you live near a branch of GSF :lol: . You won't be able to glue them satisfactorily, and you will break them every time you try and take them out.
Richard W
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

If they are as cheap as that i certainly dont mind. I just had it in my head that anything from a citroen garage would be pricey. Thanks

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I have to say though that the original jets on my Xantia seemed quite sterdy and the new ones sterdy still.

I used an electrical screwdriver and my finger and found at no point did i think i was going to break them, the right amount of pressure at the correct angle.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

i think this has always been broke, since i bought it. Anyway its all sorted and working properely now. thanks for your help ppl.

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)