Need some thoughts on a C5 windshield water pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Need some thoughts on a C5 windshield water pump

Post by 406 V6 »

Gents,

Around May of 2005, i had my windshield water pump replaced under guaranty, as it started to pass all the water to the bootlid window.
In November, again the same problem, and even though the guaranty ended in July, the seller offered to pay for the pump.
Now, it's at it again!!! A couple of days ago it was fine :evil:
Should i go the the dealer and, even though he payed for it, the part still has a 1 year guaranty and as such should be replaced at Cit's expense, or should i just buy a new pump for 15€, flush the guts out of the reservoir and put it myself? This last option seems the less annoying to me, i have the "up-with-the-guaranty-till-the-tip-of-my-hair" syndrome...
Many thanks guys :)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Honestly Francisco -

I think you should trace down the real problem - then use your experience with car diy works - and do the small modification which I think is needed.
After all - its much better to have it working for years - than to have it repaired for free several times a year.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It's probably not the pump, I've seen the same problem on the ZX and Xsara.

An anti-return valve gets stuck so whichever way the pump spins it diverts water to the rear. It's usually just a matter of cleaning the valve out.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Its almost certainly the anti return valve. On my car I had the opposite problem, I couldn't get any water at all to the rear screen. The dealer fixed it while the car was in for another job, said it only took them a few minutes!!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Out with the pump then! :D
But honestly, don't you find it weird the pumps getting stuck in such a short time?
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955