ZX track rod end replacement tips please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

ZX track rod end replacement tips please.

Post by Gaskin »

I need to replace a track rod end on my ZX. Given it is 10 years old and the track rod end has never been touched, any suggestions as to the best way to do this.

Is it better to take the whole track rod off and deal with it in a vice or do it in situ?

If I take the whole thing off, how hard is the inner joint to deal with?

If I do it in situ what's the best way of holding the track rod when undoing the end?

Any tips, as ever, gratefully received.

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It shouldn't be difficult to remove it in situ. Once you have slackened the lock nut, you should be able to unscrew it by hand, and even if its rusted it shouldn't be to difficult to undo. The problem will be, making sure that your wheel alignment is correct after you have fitted it. If you screw it up to the locknut it should be about right if you haven't moved the nut from its original position, but I would have it checked. The track rod can be gripped with a mole type grip.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had trouble with one on a ZX that was rusted up. Best tip is to get it going BEFORE you split the ball joint - otherwise the whole thing flops about and you can't get a good grip on it. First thing is to give it a good wire brushing, and then plenty of plus gas or similar, and then leave it for a few days. Use a well fitting open ended spanner on the lock nut and go gently - if it won't come, apply some heat and more plus gas to it! similarly get the track rod going, then split the ball joint - tip here too - make sure you back the lock nut right off the nylock part before breaking the taper, cos otherwise you end up sawing the bugger off anyway :roll: I usually measure off the back face of the hub and make a mark on the track rod to aid fitting the new joint in the right place - but make sure you get your head right in the wheel arch resting against the inner, otherwise the mark moves about and is useless.... :oops: You'll probably need to get the tracking reset anyway - but at least the side you have changed will go easily!
Richard W
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

a Airgun is a god send when taking things like this off.

Although we snapped the stud off a track rod end trying to undo it with a ratchet & then broke a mallett trying to seperate track rod end from hub.