C5 DIESEL FILTER

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

C5 DIESEL FILTER

Post by johnway »

ADVICE PLEASE!! Before attacking the diesel filter on my 1.9 HDI can someone please confirm that to gain access to replace the filter I need to disconect the pipes at the housing, use a suitable strapwrench and turn the 4" approx dia ridged housing top anti-clockwise? As the C5 is not fitted with a bulb pump, does the filter housing have to be primed and bled after fitting a new filter and refitting the top and pipes?
Many thanks,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

John,

First it's a 2 liter engine, thought the block is shared with the old 1.9 XUD.
Ok, fisrt disconnect the pipes on the top of the filter assembly, by pressing (or is it pulling) the tip of the pipes, as they are the fast connect type.
Next, if you don't have the suitable tool, use a big flat screwdriver, not sharp at the edge ;), tangencial with the top of of the filter and hitting it with a hammer undo it. Replace the filter pretty quick, if the car isn't disconnected for a few minutes, or diesel will splash all over.
Do the opposite to close the system, checking the position of the o-ring (you did pay attention to the way the original o-ring was fitted, didn't you?) and it's done! :D:D

Cheers!
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
johnway
My Cars:

C5 Diesel Filter

Post by johnway »

Ah, the old wackit with a hammer trick!! I have since graduated to much more refined tools ( a strap wrench should do nicely - saves cracking those nice plastic bits I hope!!). Thanks for the advice.
Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The filter housing ring is normally b*****y tight, you need a good strap wrench. Do the normal check in the bowl for metal swarf while you've got it apart, can be a sign of pump troubles :cry:
The system is self priming, and it works very well. Put it back together, turn on the ignition and leave for a minute, then start the engine. No problem.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

406 V6 wrote:John,

Cheers!
The block isn't shared with the 1.9, its the crank thats shared (same part number for the HDI 110 as the XUD TD), the block has a bigger bore (to give it 2 litres instead of 1.9). The block is very similar to the 1.9, whether its a simple case of being bored out slightly or more greatly modified I couldn't say.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Kowalski wrote:
406 V6 wrote:John,
Cheers!
The block isn't shared with the 1.9.
This is going horribly off-topic, but.

In the same way that the 1769cc XUD Turbo and the 1905cc XUD Turbo engines "share" the same block (the only difference being the bore size) the HDI engines "share" the same block as the 1.9 XUD Turbo. There are obviously machining defferences, but AFAIK the casting is identical.
This is not a signature.