car transporting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

car transporting

Post by citronut »

dose anyone have the means or any idea on how i can transport a DS from nottingham to st leonards on sea,legal,cheap ans safe,it has been dry stored for 20 years
regards malcolm
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

1)Have you thoaght about hireing one of them car transporter traillers the ones with 4 wheels and the rumps on the back .

That is of course you if you have a tow bar .

OR
2)Get a mate drive you to nottingham , (Befored hand join AA)

Collect car , ring AA up and say , OOPS , I seem to have broke down , can you rely me back to st lenords :lol:

THe above of course at your own risk (2)
1 is best

Cheers

Simon
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

friend of my, might have a car transport trailer . he has just gone to lunch to ring his mate up to see if he still has it . If so we see if It can be borrowed .

DO you have tow bar as if not above will not apply.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Collect car , ring AA up and say , OOPS , I seem to have broke down , can you rely me back to st lenords
But check the small print first....just because you are paying for relay doesn't mean you will get it-in the very very small print you will find that the car you want recovered must be currently taxed and MOT'd.

The breakdown services are wise to this sort of p**s-take, you may be able to get away with it for a currently taxed car, but if its a car which obviously hasn't been on the road for years, they would most likely refuse, or, worse, take you to the 'nearest AA approved Citroen repair garage' :shock:

Do it the honest way, rent a flatbed for the day- cheaper than joining the AA anyway!!
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

simonelsey wrote:friend of my, might have a car transport trailer . he has just gone to lunch to ring his mate up to see if he still has it . If so we see if It can be borrowed .

DO you have tow bar as if not above will not apply.

Sorry he has got rid of it :cry:

As for AA it was ment ot be a joke
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think bxbodgers sudgestion is the best,and simon yes i do have a tow bar on my bx 1.9D,its ilegal to tow something which is more than 2 thirds the wheight including the trailer of what your pulling it with,i was hoping some kind sole on here maybe has a flatbed truck that would either lend me it or do the job cheepish
regards malcolm
awg2

Post by awg2 »

I had a look on the website

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Drive ... chk=BIZx8Z

and it doesn't seem quite as simple as 2/3.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

citronut wrote:i think bxbodgers sudgestion is the best,and simon yes i do have a tow bar on my bx 1.9D,its ilegal to tow something which is more than 2 thirds the wheight including the trailer of what your pulling it with,i was hoping some kind sole on here maybe has a flatbed truck that would either lend me it or do the job cheepish
regards malcolm
did not now about the weight law . Good info . cannot help then sorry..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks anyway simon
the 2/3rds is realy just a rule of thumb
regards malcolm
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Out of curiosity, are you moving a dead or alive D? Makes the world of difference with the trailering of it!!

4 wheel car transporter flatbed with ideally a Cx safari towcar is the way to go!!

:wink:

Andrew
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Andrew
wonderfull picy
but i think you will find that is not quite legal,as the cx saloon and the trailer must weigh at least the same as the safari or more,the reason beeing the trailing mass can over rule the tow vehicle
regards malcolm
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

citronut wrote:Andrew
wonderfull picy
but i think you will find that is not quite legal,as the cx saloon and the trailer must weigh at least the same as the safari or more,the reason beeing the trailing mass can over rule the tow vehicle
regards malcolm
You may be right about the 'not quite' bit of the statement! The trailer is about half a tonne and what with a heavy duty trolley jack and countless toolboxes and extraneous clobber plus the spare out from under the towed car's bonnet in the back of the Safari I'm balancing the scales more in my favour.

4-5 years back a transport copper [in an innocent coversation!!] told me the heavier the towing car the heavier the towed car can be...

On seeing my CX estate he mentioned the traffic boys' unofficial view that if you're towing with one of the Cx estates YOU'LL KNOW what you're doing - their being one of the most stable/safe tow cars! PERIOD!!

AND I WASN'T GOING TO ARGUE WITH HIM! Turns out he was thinking of buying one himself as he'd always been impressed by their crashworthyness in incidents on the motorway...

I'm surprised there'd actually been one for him to find crashed anywhere!!

Picked up that East Grinstead Cx T1 off ebay last weekend using the same outfit and over the 260 miles return trip was passed by countless Constabulary patrol cars back to South Wales WITHOUT incident.

Andrew
bman

Post by bman »

i've towed 4-5 cars on a flatbed with my 1.9td xantia saloon.... luckily i was on a private road when i had a diesel mondeo estate on the back. oh and the trailer wasn't braked.....
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

bman wrote:i've towed 4-5 cars on a flatbed with my 1.9td xantia saloon.... luckily i was on a private road when i had a diesel mondeo estate on the back. oh and the trailer wasn't braked.....
Unbraked trailer :shock: :shock: :shock: Just as well it wasn't a public road :shock: :shock:

Seriously guys DO NOT attempt to tow something the size of a DS with a little BX... It's simply to lightweight... Anything CX size or bigger should be fine. I've towed serveral CX's and DS's behind my CX, though it tows well, for any distance I'd hire a truck or find a friend with a w@nk tank to tow it. You really don't want to be dragging a 1.5tone car on a 800kg+ trailer behind a fragile BX .... you really, really don't. The Xantia may have the capabily nearly being as heavy as the CX, however you'd want the V6 version to have the grunt to move it.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: Get someone with a truck to backload it for you if possible. There simply to big to tow with your average UK sized car.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not realy just down to the power of the tow car,i know a CX safari would pull it,but on a long distance its beter to do it properly,i was just asking because i was hopping someone on here could sudgest how i could do it properly at a reasonable cost
regards malcolm