Diesel Gear Boxes can I have a 6 Speed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adstar
My Cars:

Diesel Gear Boxes can I have a 6 Speed

Post by Adstar »

After a few trouble free months of motoring, I am trying to work out my options for solving my uninterested non commital speedo.

My guess is either replace the little plastic gears and hope they last a while, which will involve the box coming off. Or replace the gear box (which will have new plastic gears in anyway by the time Im done!).

If gear box replacement is considered, I would REALLY like to slap on a 6 speed box, mainly for the better economy.

Are there any that will fit a XUD turbo diesel block. I have a 605 2.1TD. I was wondering about things like the 307.

Anyone any ideas on the compatability or am I stuck with only 5 gears?
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Never seen it done on a diesel but plenty of 205 owners use the gti6 box from the 306.I would have thought aslong as its an xu lump it should fit,trouble is,finding a box as they fetch good money,hope this helps.
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of the GTi 6 and also things like the 307 HDi which have a 6 speed box. This was the reason for my question.

Even if they were compatable, the problem with fitting the GTi6 box to a diesel unit would be the torque handling. The gearbox would probably not last too long. (assumign I culd get driveshafts to connect it to the wheels)!

I have spoken to an expert who has not only provided me with the confirmation that there isn;t a compatable 6 speed box for the XUD engine, but he may have also provided the solution to my errant speedo problem, which may be electrical after all!

So I will just have to make do with my 5 speeds.. and hopefully one day soon I will know exactly how fast I am going all the time rather than when the car sees fit!
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

2 reasons to not use a gti6 box:

1) steering - it actually effects the steering as its shaped differently to the XUD box and reduces the lock to the point where on right lock teh wheel hits the gearbox (iirc)

2) the raios are wrong for an XUD - you`ll get about 100mph MAX bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Surely this is a completely pointless modification. The 5-speed BE3 box on a 2.1TD has ratios matched to the torque curve of the engine. Fitting a different box is almost guaranteed to mean bad matching of ratios to the engine.

Plus... the number of gears in the box is not the important factor.. it's the top ratio. What might be a better mod would be to fit a higher 5th gear ratio. It *might* lower your fuel consumption (a bit) but will certainly make the car less responsive in top gear.
This is not a signature.