BX rear wheels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

BX rear wheels

Post by beemernut »

Recently had both rear wheel bearings replaced. Since then the right hand wheel is rubbing against the inner wheel arch, most noticably when the tyres have been pumped up.

The left-hand suspension unit was replaced a couple of years ago but not the right. Is this related or just coincidence.

All suggestions gratefully received
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usual thing to cause this is rear arm bearings clapped out,why where the wheel beraings replaced
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur, If the bearings in one suspension arm have gone, the chances are that the other side is on its way, so they really both should have been done, in fact they are far more likely to need replacing than the wheel bearings.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Just to clarify, when you say inner wheel arch, do you mean inside the outer arch, or the arch on the other side of the tyre-i.e. nearest to the centre line of the car??

If the arm bearings are shot enough for the tyre to be rubbing on the inner arch the back wheel would have a pretty pronounced lean in at the top- it would be really obvious to the eye, but you don't mention it, and you don't say it was happening before the wheel bearing change, either.

With knackered arm bearings, the back wheels look like this / \

I'm wondering if you are referring to the inside of the outer arch, in which case it could just be that the new hub/bearing assembly hasn't been pressed fully home on the stub axle.
beemernut
My Cars:

Post by beemernut »

The wheel is at a slight angle and is starting to rub against the inner arch (not the inside of the outer arch). How easy is the job to do? Haines book of lies say to remove the wheel hub & bearings from the stub axle. Is this really necessary. If I undo the bolts that hold the rear suspension arm in place, can I drive out the bearing cone with a drift or will I have to take it to a Citroen dealer to get this done? ](*,) In the past I've removed the wheel bearings from a motorbike but never a car.
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I've never so far had to do my arm bearings (touch wood)-some seem to last for ever, and some die young,and there seems to be no particular mileage for them to need doing, but haynes is pretty good on it, and if you use the search function on the forum you'll find loads of threads on doing it: its a common hydro-citroen job, and it can be done without taking the new hub off again, but you do need to remove the arm.

Its a similar job to doing a bike's swing arm, basically.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have unfortunatly had to do this job several times, CX once, and BX at least twice, its fairly straightforward, the only real problem being getting the outer part of the bearing from inside the arm. If you have a welder, this can quite easily be achieved by running a ring of weld metal round the inside of the bearing shell, when it cools it will shrink the shell which can then be removed with a couple of screwdrivers. When reassembling, fill the middle part of the arm with grease and they wont go again.