xantia diesel pump question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

busbuddy
My Cars:

xantia diesel pump question

Post by busbuddy »

I have bought a '96 xantia td lx to use the engine in my vw campervan :roll: no laughing :roll:

I had fully intended to take off the diesel pump and it's ecu and replace with an all mechanical pump for my transplant but the ecu seems to only control very minimal stuff on the pump.
My question is how easy is it to isolate the ecu from the rest of the car and keep it with the engine, like does the ecu wiring go all over the dash or is it local to the engine only, because it seems to be an afterthought when the car was built.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont think a '96 Xantia TD has ECU controlled diesel engine ?
It might simply be the alarm/lock system residing on top of pump that confuses you ?

Anyway - its certainly no problem fitting an earlier roto-pump instead - with all the wellknown mecahnical bits & coldstarts etc.

Why laughing ? - The PSA XUD type diesel lump is generally known to be reliable and easy to service. Its found in all later diesel Citroens & Peugeots and lots of other makes with diesels - as OEM delivered engine.
Spare parts available all over the world.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

AndersDK wrote:Dont think a '96 Xantia TD has ECU controlled diesel engine ?
I didn't think so either but definitely got an ecu in a plastic box next to expansion bottle and has a load lever sensor on pump which would tend to suggest a bosch as3 pump.

please let me know if I'm not supposed to post pics due to this sites bandwidth :?:

laughing because I'm gonna throw the engine in a '71 vw campervan and I have no previous citroen experience, steep learning curve whilst I'm stripping the car of parts I don't need to get to parts I do.
Is citroen reknowned for using so many different bolt sizes and spline heads on it's cars :?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Is citroen reknowned for using so many different bolt sizes and spline heads on it's cars
:whistle: :wink: :mrgreen:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The Hains book list ECU models as from'97, but I suppose it depends when in '96 it was registered. The AS3 pump is referred to as semi electronic so presumably must have some sort of ECU. If its connected directly to the engine i.e. not through the main loom, it shouldnt be to difficult to incorporate it in your new istallation but as Anders says, its not difficult to change the pumps over and their should be plenty of secondhand ones about.

I wish you success with your conversion. I used to do conversions with Perkins engines many years ago before you could buy a decent diesel car, but they were relatively simple then, all rear wheel drive.
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

yes I think I'll stick to plan 'a' and swap pumps.

an engine swap is easy to do but when choosing your donor you must avoid transponders at all costs, my mates got a 60's vw van with a new vw tdi motor in it but we had to put the dash clocks under the bed in the van so as to keep the transponder as there was no way to bypass it.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello,

I've done just as you say.

I've taken off my ECU controlled Bosch AS3 pump and replaced it with an older Bosch pump which doesn't have the imobiliser or solenoid timing advance.

The ECU on the 1.9 turboD engine in your picture gathers information and the outcome is to control a solenoid on the base of the pump which controls pump timing.

My AS3 ECU pump didn't seem right so I purchased an older pump off ebay and have just fitted it. The older pump has a timing advance mechanism which works off pressure from the pump's internal vain feed pump. It works ok. Better than my AS3 pump.

I detailed the work in this post :-

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17476[/url]
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

thanks for that 8)

well thats another part to sell I suppose
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

oops double post, sorry :oops:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

When you take your old AS3 pump off will you be looking for a new home for it ?

I may be interested. Now that I'm familiar with pump changes I could give it a go on my engine to see if it's better than the one I took off.

Also, there's an older type Bosch pump for sale right now on ebay. If you look under Car Parts - Citroen - type in Diesel Pump and click on 'search'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIESEL-INJECTOR-P ... dZViewItem

I got my old pump for 10 quid off ebay.

Cheers,

Kev
Last edited by KevMayer on 05 Feb 2006, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

now theres an idea and I'm coming your way on the 19th for the vw show at staffs county showground.
don't fancy a swap do ya :lol:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I was thinking of running with this older pump for a while yet, so, I'm not thinking of swapping right now.

I have been looking on ebay for another AS3 pump. Just to keep in stock until I'm ready to do another swap. I missed one a while back which went at 15 quid.

I merely thought of your AS3 pump as being available some time in the future. In which case I'd be prepared to take it off your hands for 10 to 15 quid say. I wouldn't have a pump available to swap with you. Unless you fancy my old AS3 pump..lol

I live not far from the County Show Ground.

Cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Look at my last but one post. There's the ebay link to that pump.

Oh well, I'll put it here too.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIESEL-INJECTOR-P ... dZViewItem

Good luck

Kev
Cheers, Kev

busbuddy
My Cars:

Post by busbuddy »

can't believe this was a week ago :oops:
kev, not gonna make the show this weekend and not even got the engine out yet (it's the start of my racing season) but when i finally rip it out (end of the month tops) I'll be in touch to see if you still looking
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Ok. Let me know when you've got the pump off.

Cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev