Xantia TD Rear Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Xantia TD Rear Spheres

Post by wilkobob »

Just done the rear spheres on chris's car, what a job. Looks like someone has already had a go at one of them, the pipe was bent at 90 degree angles to the strut thingy. After snapping a chain wrench, and swearing loudly at the rubber strap thing that chris had as it skinned knuckles more than once (note there should be a health warning with them and id warn not to buy them as they are pretty much useless) went out to seek large stillsons or other gripping device. A mate of mine had some large pipe grips which fitted the spheres just nicely, and they were done with ease thereafter.

So advice for anyone changing any spheres:
Car reversed onto ramps, on highest setting. Use gripping tool to crack the spheres off. Lower car, and release pressure from accumulator by undoing nut 1/2 turn. Change spheres, remembering to lube the new o rings with lhm, hand tighten. Tighten nut on accumulator, start car, and move to high position. Make sure spheres are hand tight, and jobs a gooden.

1- Dont use a chain wrench, or any oil filter removing tool
2- Dont use the BOA strap wrench as it slips and hurts alot, and is too weak and flimsy.
3- Dont use hammer and chissel, as you just end up using a whole lot of effort over nothing.
3- Find some very large stillsons or pipe wrench, grip well and hey presto, lots of leverage, and a good grip.

Job is really really easy this way! :D :D
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

WHAT - the BOA didnt stand up to the job ?
My advice has always been : use a tool LIKE the BOA strap tool :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Worked for the fronts last week, but not a hope in hell on the rears, just kept slipping and hurting. When id snapped my chain wrench (yes that hurt too) I went on the hunt for something better to grip with, and the large adjustable pipe grips I came home with did the job with ease. To be honest, im not sure how long the spheres had been on the car, theres no trace of any paint on them, and they were as hard as coffin nails, so its possible they have been there a fair while. I guess if they were over tightened as well, they could cause a bit of trouble.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

So Simon how old do you think the spheres were, chances are the BOA may have worked better if the spheres werent from 1942 but since these ones seemed so old it didnt have a chance but it made p**s work out the fronts.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

My guess is they could be originals, but they could have been changed sometime in the cars previous life... who knows!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Na, na -

No nagging on other good members here 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image