C5 Overheating?? Advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rhys9918

C5 Overheating?? Advice please

Post by rhys9918 »

A bit of advise needed please.
Whilst driving to work today, my temperature gauge went from normal to red (instantly) and the stop light came on. So I stopped.

After being parked up for no more than 5 mins, I turned the ignition on again, and everything was clear, so drove the last couple of hundred yards to work.

Any ideas what this is (theres oil and water in the car before anyone asks).

Could it be a faulty temperature sensor? And if it is, does anyone know where this is mounted on the engine?

All help greatly appreciated.

ps, why havent Haynes come up with a manual yet??

Regards

Rhys9918
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The temperature of the engine cant go up 'instantly' unless you have a nuclear reactor under the bonnet, so I would suspect that you have a faulty sensor or bad connection somewhere. If it does it again, just open the bonnet and feel the radiator, if it was that hot you would know about it, you would also have lost water. The 'stop' warning light illuminates sometimes on my XM, saying 'slow down engine overheating' or something similar when I am doing about 30 mph round the lanes and the gauge hasn't reached normal! Dont forget its a Citroen!
rhys9918

Post by rhys9918 »

Yes, I kind of guessed it wasnt overheating, Ive taken the nuclear fuel rods out!!!

Shame I cant get a Haynes manual though, could find the sensor and look at that, but its such a big damned engine, dont realy know where to start!!!

Thanks for the reply anyway
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

which engine is it in your C5?
Regards
David.
rhys9918

Post by rhys9918 »

It is the 1749cc petrol (16valve).
By the way, the tappits are noisy, so Im changing them next weekend, so will investigate the rogue overheating at the same time.

Rhys
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

change the green temp sensor in the thermostat housing,you should see it when you remove the plastic engine cover.