Xantia warning lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Diana

Xantia warning lights

Post by Diana »

I've had my late 1999 Xantia since last October (a French model bought and always driven in France if that makes any difference??) and when I bought it there was a minor problem in that the warning light for the rear fog lights didn't work. This later became more of a problem in that not only did the warning light not work, but the rear fog lights stopped working, except very occasionally after I had used the indicators when the fogs and the warning light would work until next use of indicator.

For the past few months I have been meaning to find out why but there always seemed to be something else to do instead...

This week however the light show has changed yet again and begins to really worry me. Firstly, the warning light failed to work for the dipped beam headlights - though the headlights work fine - very rarely when I indicate the headlights will turn themselves off but they will always turn on again manually. Today, for the first time the airbag light has started to flash. I've used the car three times and this has happened throughout the journeys except for the last time when it was as normal.

Now I am getting very worried. I don't mind about the warning lights, but would be quite upset if the airbag suddenly exploded when I was driving along... perhaps i am being stupid and this can't happen, but perhaps someone could advise me if this is a serious possiblity, or where I might start looking to find the root of the problem. I understand the wiring for the foglights to run under the front seat and to be difficult to access (according to the garage that sold me the car and said they didn't have time to rectify the problem); I found the fuse box and it looks vey nice...

I guess this is an 'earth fault' but what do I do to rectify it.... please???

Merci,

Diana
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There was a post on here recently from someone who had multiple electrical problems with his Xantia and these were traced to a wiroing loom running accross the car at the front. Apparently the usual Citroen split trunking had been used and this had filled up with water and rotted all the wiring!

May be worth getting underneath and looking for something like this. probably not very dificult for someone to cut the wires back and replace them one at a time.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Aye i think i remember that, wasnt it the loom running next to the radiator at the bottom on that lip that keeps it in situ :?:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's worth looking at the circuit diagrams and working out if the affected items have an earthing point in common, then working backwards.
BTW, Xantia rear lights appear to be designed for bulbs with deeper than usual base contacts. I've found that relacements from some manufacturers won't reliably connect.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Does a french "born" car have the same system with a foglight breaker circuit in the towball outlet socket ?
If this is true then start looking here.

Seems to be the standard problem on missing rear foglights.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

If a LHD HDi Exclusive is the same as my RHD HDi Exclusive the wiring loom across the front of the car can not be reached without removing the front bumper - the loom runs in front of the cross member in a rectangular plastic trunking as opposed to being clipped to the back of the cross member.
When I had a problem with this part of the loom there was no indication of water/salt/dirt contamination of the loom probably because it is far better protected behind the bumper than under the radiator. I was more inclined to believe that the problem was a quality issue with the insulation of the wiring used when the loom was made. The only wires affected were the main power feeds from the under bonnet fusebox all of which had heavier insulation than the other wires in the loom and should therefore be less prone to 'Rot'
My first lead to finding my problem was strange voltages on fuses in the cabin fusebox - It might be worth a check!
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The airbag can't deploy for no reason.
The light indicates a malfunction in that it won't deploy when needed.
Airbag indication faults are usually caused by bad contacts in the plugs and sockets under the front seats.
If the fog light wires pass there too, we may have a common cause.
The headlight and indicator stalk is also prone to foibles.

Bonne chance, et bon bricolage. :)
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Diana

Post by Diana »

Many thanks for all of your suggestions, I think I will start investigating under the seat. As I don't have a garage and attempting to do things at the side of the road always attracts a small crowd of 'helpful' onlookers that is perhaps the least exhibitionist place to start.

I need to change the front bumper anyway as the previous owner used it physically to detect the dimensions of his garage and has managed to crack it completely under the rh side front foglight. That is a job that can wait until I have been to the scrap yard in attempt to find a replacement and for warmer days and perhaps the loan of a friend's land so that I can be less observed in my attempts.....

The advice about the airbag was particularly reassuring as my main fear was that this should activate at random.

BTW - is anyone interested in a Citroen Dyane 6 - French registered and LH drive? Its in good condition (for its age, the bodywork looked good from what I could see) I am told. It needs some 'minor' (again I am told) mechanical work to get it through a CT or MOT. If anyone is interested I can easily get more specific information. It was offered to me by a client who has it in his garage at home and has now decided he can't justify keeping it.

Thanks again to those who have taken the time to give me advice,

Diana