Xantia Sunroof.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Xantia Sunroof.

Post by alan s »

I have a 94/5 Xantia VSX with a sunroof that is manually operated.
In recent times it's decided to do what sunroofs seem to do best; leak.

Firstly over the driver and now more recently over the front seat passenger and whilst SWMBO couldn't see any urgency in getting it fixed when the driver (me) was getting dripped on, it soon took on an air of urgency when her side started copping it.
Having sorted a few on BX16Vs over the years, I went looking for a blocked drain which doesn't seem to exist as these appear to operate on a different principle in that unlike the BX, these seem to actually seal off with a rubber around the perimeter.
Can someone confirm that this is the case and is the fix simply a new seal?

BTW, if you want to know the definition of torture; drive a dark blue car with a glass sunroof that is designed without an internal sunshade on a day when the car thermometer is showing around 45 - 48C...........they couldn't be serious!! :shock: :shock: :roll:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Alan,

What, you've had some rain????

Anyway, if you've got a manual sunroof, with no internal cover it's not a factory fit one - as they were all electric, with internal sliding cover - presumably this is why you haven't got any drains. Only thing I can suggest is you try and figure out who made the roof, and then approach them to see if you can get new seals. Otherwise, out with the silicone sealant for a permanent fix :wink: And paint it white to stop the sun shining through!
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is this one of the tilt and lift-out jobs? I've got one on my BX Estate - and to be perfectly honest I wish it wasn't there as its completely useless and leaks. I had the seal replaced about 6 years ago and now the new one is as bad as the first one.

Last winter I simply taped it over with some success - but it hasn't worked this year - which means I think I've found the problem - which is the surround to roof seal,

To keep the sun out couldn't you cover it with a plastic film, like that shelf covering material? It could probably be stuck on the inside and would show a whiteish back through the glass.
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Last time it was out in the rain I covered it with a black garbage bin liner and as soon as the sun came out again, it melted it to the roof and took an hour to get off. :oops: :shock:

I'm off on a 3000 klms trip @ 3am in the morning, so at this stage I've hit it with a layer of silicone grease until I get back in about 3 days. I doubt that I'll be seeing too much rain as I'm heading into what is basically desert country but at least it won't have the humidity I have here at home.
I'll get back to you on Monday. Thanks all so far.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!