lumpy Xsara Idle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

lumpy Xsara Idle

Post by mattpc »

Missus's Xsara seems to have developed a lumpier than usual idle. It also tends to struggle to catch itself from stalling sometimes if the throttle is blips and it is left to return to idle. Previous owner StuartMcB told me when I bought it for her from him that it had a little modification that cured a stalling problem. This unit is pictured here. Originally it was yellow but it has gone black now and it looks like oil has got in there. You can see from the picture that there is some in the tube. Anyone got any ideas as I'm a bit clueless on this one and the search facility doesn't appear to be working today?

Xsara Coupe 1.6 8v 56k

Last edited by mattpc on 31 Jan 2006, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ok give us a clue - year and model, engine size etc would help - it's still to early for me to guess these things - I think its petrol but I'm not even 100% sure of that.
jeremy
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Sorry- Xsara Coupe 1.6 8v 1998
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

looks like an after market in line fuel filter, which will tend to discolour when it gets old and does its job. Costs a couple of quid from any accessory shop - get one about the same size and make sure that any arrows point in the same direction nd simply substitute it.

Where it is in the circuit and what its doing and how it colected oil - if thats what it is I don't know. I doubt if its in the main fuel line (I'll probably be corrected on this) as this runs at 36 psi or so and I wouldn't have thought it was strong enough.
jeremy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

PM sent mate. Sorry didn't read your post first. Yep agree the filter is now up for a clean etc.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

jeremy.

The filter was put in line on the MAP sensor vacume hose. The hose is fitted down hill from the throttle body but on the crank case gas side. Thishas the effect of oil residue collecting in the MAP sensor. This cheap filter stops this and can be replaced for about £1.20. Saves a lot of messing about. Syptoms of block MAP sensor on a MK1 VTR 1.6 Xsara are, stawling, high reving, lumpy idel.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Good idea!
jeremy
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Great I think I will be following Stuarts advice and doing the following

1 Replace inline fuel filter
2 Clean and regap spark plugs
3 Undertake following suggested by Stuart

"Another thing to check is the idel stepper motor, again this controls the idel speed by sensing the vacume from the manifold. Unfortunatley it too has a tendancy to collect oil vapour. Easy calen though, as you look at th engine on the throttle body R/H side you'll see a jubilee clip one small one large undo the large one and spray some carb cleaner and then the silicone spray or WD40. Run the engine and it should clean out the motor".

Thanks Stuart, and it's still a great car to drive on big old country lanes. Highly reccomended vehicle. :)