ZX THERMOSTAT QUERY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zig

ZX THERMOSTAT QUERY

Post by Zig »

The temp gauge is permanently registering just above cold, does this mean the thermostat is likely to be at fault? If so, does this need replacing urgently to avoid any serious consequences??
Any advice is welcomed thanks....
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have a feel at the top hose after a run, if it feels very hot (as it should) then suspect the temperature gauge sender unit instead.
If the top hose merely feels warm then go for the stat.
Dave
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Zig,
I would say without doubt that the thermostat is ready to be replaced. The only caveat on this of course is unless the temp gauge is faulty but that usually is self evident.
Thermostats these days I reckon almost need replacing as a consumable and I'm making it policy to do a thermo and new coolant all at the one service every two years.
A motor running cold will wear quicker than one working at normal operating temperature and if you look down this forum you'll see where I have posted in relation to oil consumption v engine temp; something I still have to prove.
I am fast reaching the conclusion also that the moisture contamination in the beather system (and consequently the crankcase) commonly refered to as Mayonnaise, could be caused in the main due to faulty thermostats allowing engines to run too cool particularly in cold climates. I reached this conclusion after I found moisture in my filler pipes in an Australian summer which disappeared (in winter) after a new thermostat was fitted.
Alan S
Zig

Post by Zig »

Thanks for the advice Dave & Allen
On further investigation the top hose feels reasonably hot after a short journey, therfore if as you suggest the thermo sender unit needs replacing, where will I locate it? as I have been informed there are various different coloured unit/switches available for the ZX. (Blue, Blue/Green, Blue/Grey, or Blue/Orange).
I am strugling to see any such colours under the bonnet?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Don't know what model of ZX you have but the sender should be on the thermostat housing (where the top hose connects), if there is more than one, disconnect and reconnect their plugs one at a time until the temp gauge fails to move.
Dave