Well it started!?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Well it started!?!

Post by rossnunn »

Just managed to get the Xantia started, but I'm still confused as to why or how or whatever.

I cleaned (wasn't that dirty) the plugs & put them back in, rebuilt the cam covers & checked the oil level, it was just below the lower notch so I filled it up, then checked fuel plenty of that.
So next up is check all the timing points, in order to do this I needed to get the car back up the drive a bit, so I put it in reverse and splashed the starter, 'boncing' it backwards.
I then spun the car over, just for S's&G's really & it coughed. Now this would fit with that the other guy said (sorry can't remeber your username :oops: ) about the rear being higher than the front. So I let the battery charge for a while, had a cupper & tried again.
By this time the rear was on the floor & it just spun over, no coughing, so I jacked the back up & tried again, much to my suprise she nearly started first hit, so I sprayed some 'helper' up its inlet trunk & tried again, started at the second time of asking!?! But it was running really rough, so I left it at 1k rpm & it smoothed out.
I did notice that the rear of the car was now hard into the floor, so I wondered if it had blown a seal or was leaking fluid so I looked round & couldn't see anything. I put the suspension on high & it picked the front up no problem but the rear stayed planted, I was about to crawl underneath when there was this almighty creaking noise & the back of the car started to pick itself up very slowly.
It now goes up & down fine, no creaks or squeeks & the engine runs up to the redline & back without a issue, she also starts first time.

So now I'm really confused. The only thing I can come up with (other than being french!) is it fancied a couple of weeks off from all the running about it does. Now with our trusty old van failing its MOT it couldn't have come back at a better time.