Too cold, so windows will not open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Too cold, so windows will not open

Post by Nomad »

Hi all

Is this a common problem with the Xantia Electric windows? If the weather drops to below 0 the windows are stuck tight with ice and will not open.
I have had lots of cars with electric windows but have never suffered with this problem before.
With the Xantia i have to drive for about half an hour before they will open.
Is there any tips i can do to stop it happening? maybe silicon spray on the rubbers, what do you guys do?

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant say if its a common problem as ive only had two cars with electric windows :lol:

However i also wondered while driving down the street and tried to make them all go down but they wouldnt however this was a bitter cold evening, serious frost/ice if i remember and i just kept pressing up down up down up down up down and eventually they free'd up..however im sure this isnt a good idea to do as maybe its putting 'strain' on the motor/mechanism.....well i have been hard pressed to find something to do on the Xantia :cry:

SPHERES TODAY THOUGH :lol: :lol: :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Ok this morning was -7 here, but even spending time scraping all the ice away from where the glass meets the rubbers, still no go, it is like it is stuck on the inside.
I try a few time up & down, but as you say i don't think this is good for the motor.

I might try Silicon spay on the rubbers tonight.

Thanks

Tony
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

how about a squirt of antifreeze/defroster along the edge of the window. give it a few seconds to work its magic and give the window a try a try........

On the other hand, cheer up, you could have to deal with glacially slow leccy windows like the ones on my Cav, even in the height of summer.
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Thats true, my Zx was terrible for that, been quicker to have bleeding winders.

No point starting a new thread.....

Was there ever a UK P-Reg 2.0 litre Turbo Diesel ..... wasnt it just the 1.9TD and assuming it isnt an Activa either??????????????
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My drivers side BX window was slow and reluctant to move from the day i got it some 6 1/2 years ago. I've been squirting it with silicon ever since and it lasts about 18 months between sprays! What surprised me was that it seemed slower in the wet than the dry - and I would have thought the water would have acted as a lubricant on the rubber.

I found that it beeds a good going ober with silicon - all the side rubbers and the internal and external seals at the bottom.

Curoiusly our zx (1.9D 1994) are extremely fast and don't seem afected by anything. I've avoided taking the dors to bits but they are so good I wonder if the doors are wired differently. The wiring diagram looks a bit odd and ,ay reveal its secret on inspection.
jeremy
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,

If it's the drivers side window, this one gets most use, and what normally happens is the feed wires to the motor that come through the rubber grommet fatigue, and then the wire strands break.

To test, remove the door card, and check with a meter the volts that are actually present at the motor, with engine running and before and during the winding action..

As another check, a direct feed from the battery + and - to the motor will confirm which wire is damaged.

It is not an easy jos to pull the wires through and find the culprit, but i have performed the task on one of my BX's..

Best of luck
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Thanks for the replies guys, it is all windows that suffer from this.

Silicon spray it is then.

Tony
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Nomad. I have been using silicone spray for years on door rubbers, window edges, ally wheels, and on various elec connections under the bonnet, etc.. and it works vey well, it keeps water out, and nothing sticks.

I even use it along the front edge of my bonnet, lights, and bumper as it makes removing dead insects etc much easier. It's cheap, effective, and easy to apply :) what more can one ask.. :D :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I found that it beeds a good going ober with silicon
Do you have a cold? It seems you need some Tunes. "They help you breathe more easily" (other menthol sweets are available)

:lol:
French car free zone....
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Be careful when testing your windows in freezing conditions - its easy to snap the actuator mechanism if the glass ias stuck (on the zx anyway - voice of bitter experience......)

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My windows get a bit frozen,but usally they unstick within a few miles.Its not so much the motor that might struggle when they are frozen,but as said anything else plastic might.I have seen many a window come off its runners & drop down where they were frozen.Not a major job to fix,but can be fiddly.I just keep pressing the window up & down a few times so it barely moves the window,but soon comes unstuck without breaking anything. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

If it's that cold, you don't really want the windows open :lol:
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

What about if smoke though??? :D :(
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Unless I've missed someone stating the obvious, the solution to winding the window down easily is easy enough!! :D

Lukewarm tapwater!!

I know I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs here, but...

Not only do you free the vision of all the car's windows far easier and efficiently than scraping laboriously and getting cold into the bargain, but if you wind the window down and back up while you sweep the wipers on the screen it'll clear any residual water before it has any chance to think about icing up!!

I've got an old jug kettle handy in the garage [that doesn't heat up anymore!!] that dispenses lukewarm tapwater!!

Don't get too carried away with HOT water mind, as the screen will crack due to the shock of the instant thermal step!! "Fun" with a bonded windscreen...

Andrew