Xantia diesel. Over reving for the first 3-4 mins.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

London luke

Xantia diesel. Over reving for the first 3-4 mins.

Post by London luke »

Let me explain..... When the suspension et chad raised and it time to drive off. I change gear and the car keeps reving??? Its like the auto choke ?? etc is causing the revs to rise. Bit dangerous as I have to brake to slow th ecar down afte rchanging gear. Stops after a few mins..

Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mr Luke -

Have your accelerator cable & linkage checked. I believe it is a simple problem with a stuck cable or a slack return spring.

There is NO choke on a diesel - so this can not be the problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Like Anders says there is not choke but it still got me thinking of my ownership with the petrol zx reflex with manual choke, the choke puller (inside the cabin) kept coming off the cable and i was driving home from sheffield college with well constant revs.....now that was one interesting drive home....those brakes didnt get half used that day :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with all thats been said - but had another problem with the ZX 1.9D which would seem to discover hidden power at times - pedal was getting caught in the floor mat!
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

LMAO at Jeremy...Same here!!!!!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
London luke

Post by London luke »

No choke !!! That on less thing to worry about then !!

I will check obstructions etc. But I am sure there are none. It stops within 3 mins etc. Doesnt idle faster when not moving.. only after changing gear when I drive down the road
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Do we know what year Xantia it is? If its a late one and has electronic management, it could be a problem there. If not as previously stated, something mechanical sticking. The only other possibility is air getting into the fuel system.
London luke

Post by London luke »

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

My 2.1td did this for a while and it turned out to be a temp sensor.
When the sensor died the ecu assumed the engine was always cold and pumpeed in extra fuel to compensate.

Might be worth a look.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
London luke

Post by London luke »

Its getting worse!

I looked tonight . I notice there is a "Damper" fitted to the throttle body to act as a "return spring" ?? maybe this isnt working. Its slow to Pull back onto the idle stop.

Help !! :lol:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Those dampers dont generally work after a few k miles, I would try disconnecting it, you wont notice much difference, except it might cure the problem! It doesn't act as a return spring, there is a seperate one round the throttle cable, its just to damp sudden movement, to make acceleration smoother.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Peter.N. wrote:Those dampers dont generally work after a few k miles, I would try disconnecting it, you wont notice much difference, except it might cure the problem! It doesn't act as a return spring, there is a seperate one round the throttle cable, its just to damp sudden movement, to make acceleration smoother.
I blamed my damper for a sticking accelarator and took it off but then the accelarator kept sticking. It turned out that the plastic liner in the cable was worn through in places and that the cable was frayed too. I still haven't put the damper back on, I probably should ;)
London luke

Post by London luke »

I put some lube on the throttle body. And played with the damper a bit. Today I had no problems.... So I reccon its not a electrical problem etc.

Cable looks ok.... but i will have to see.
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

Luke, if its limited to 3 mins it could be temp controlled. If its an earlier Xantia there is a Waxstat that pulls a cable to give a higher idle speed. It then releases when the engine is warm. Its on the back of the fuel pump.
I only know about it because mine was doing the opposite when cold!!!
When I had the cambelt changed last sat it suddenly corrected itself :D

Still going to lube it up this weekend though :D

Talk to the other guys on the forum. I had a thread about it a couple of weeks ago but can't remember the title :oops:

Good luck

Dave
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
johnway
My Cars:

Stuck throttle

Post by johnway »

Hello,
Probably a weak return spring on the diesel pump - fixed mine with an additional spring on the arm - throttle now a bit heavy but the engine speed drops when foot lifted!! Must get around to fitting a new return spring this year!! Quite right was has been said about the damper, although I did try putting a spring on this - slowed engine speed down but couldn,t open throttle fully - great economy!!
Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.