strange xantia today

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

strange xantia today

Post by _kid_ »

I tried to start my car today and i could hear the starter motor turn but the car would not start, then after 10mins in desperation I remembering reading (on this forum i think) that lifting the rear suspension started the car. So i gave it a go, i simply ‘lifted’ the rear suspension then let i go and then the car started.

There was petrol and battery was ok, yesterday i started my car moved it a couple of feet and then switched off, would this have anything to do with this, as i cant see what on earth was going on,
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dont remember anyone on this forum has mentioned that ?
Did you literally lift up the rear of the car - with your own hands ?
- or wot did you do ?

Starting the car just to move it out of the way (i.e. to move another car in your driveway) is what we all do from time to time. That should definately not have any influence on next days starting.

I believe you may have some fuel system troubles waiting for you just around the corner. It often starts with mysterious intermittent minor problems.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

AndersDK wrote:Dont remember anyone on this forum has mentioned that ?
Did you literally lift up the rear of the car - with your own hands ?
- or wot did you do ?

Starting the car just to move it out of the way (i.e. to move another car in your driveway) is what we all do from time to time. That should definately not have any influence on next days starting.

I believe you may have some fuel system troubles waiting for you just around the corner. It often starts with mysterious intermittent minor problems.
im sure remember reading this remedy on the net somewhere. Yes i know its almost unbelievable, but yes the car would not start, then I lifted* the rear and of course it went back to its original position, then the car started.

*By lifted i don’t mean i lifted the car off the floor, but only movement the rear suspension.
:roll:
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

This has happened to me on a petrol engined VW Passat GTI a couple of years ago and the following week the electric fuel pump died. I don't know about the retevence of lifting the back of the citroen though, it might just slosh the fuel around a bit. Is the pump noisy?

My moneys on the fuel pump

Good luck

Dave
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Thanks for the replies. I started the car again today and it was slow, although it did start first time. After starting there was a noise almost like the starter motor continuing to turn for a couple of seconds. Could it be spark plugs?

By the way there is no noise from the fuel pump area.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Lost password, try this:

Note: to Andyspares Forum Users To use your old login from the Andyspares Forum you need to click the "I forgot my password" link, to have your password reset and emailed to you. This is only required for the first time you login here.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

When my fuel pump went the noise was intermittent. Then one day it wouldn't start for ages but did eventually and ra like a bag of nails. The next day it was fine then the following week it ran like a bag of nails for two minutes and then died.
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

update:

Started fine today, would it be worth changing the spark plugs and fuel filter? These were 'changed' a couple of years ago along with the air filter, however on checking the air filter it the same prior to the 'service', so it don’t inspire great confidence re fuel filter and sparks. Is it worth a go, maybe fuel filter is old and blocked, or sparks arte past their best?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

would it be worth changing the spark plugs and fuel filter?
If they haven't been done for a couple of years, then yes, change them (and the air filter, and the oil and filter if they're the same age).
It might not help with the starting problem, but it's essential for reliability anf longevity. [/quote]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ok so im late in this morning but i have my reasons :lol:

The car was so responsive and quick off the mark...thats exactly why i do the fuel filter every 5k...OH! and that little thing with changing the spheres

OMG its bloody lovely.....i know have that magic carpet ride.....well the front end like ive said.....cant wait to do the rears with Wilkobob (stop thinking dirty things!) and my car will be amazing to drive...

Thankyou all for the help!!!! 8)
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

_Kid_,
when you lifted the rear of the car, maybe you reset the impact cut off under the bonnet?? Just an idea....

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

wrinklet1 wrote:_Kid_,
when you lifted the rear of the car, maybe you reset the impact cut off under the bonnet?? Just an idea....

Paul
but how would it have been cut off, in the first place?