Out of Interest

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Out of Interest

Post by mezuk04 »

Slightly relates to French Cars :lol:

How many use the A1 between Pontefract and Wetherby in North Yorkshire and how many have driven through the newly opened A1(M) Holmfield Interchange at Pontefract???

What are your thoughts?
And more importantly any compliments to the engineers/people that work on the job?????
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
den169
My Cars:

Holmfield Interchange at Pontefract

Post by den169 »

I go through the Holmfield Interchange at Pontefract to visit my mum on the east coast.
And all i can say is thank god its finally open its taken forever.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I get down that way occasionally but not since the work was finished.

It was taking a nasty wiggly bit out of the A1 which can only be a good thing. Seeing the work that was being done I couldn't help but be impressed by the scale of what was going on...
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well i think in that case gentlemen you should pass your compliments on via the Highways Agency Information Line (HAIL) so i can book your compliments into the register.

It will make us look good you see...and its always nice to receive positives from members of the public :lol:
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It it finished?

I have not been down that far for a few months but often use the M1-A1 link road to get from the M62 to the A64 toward York, and was thinking that once the A1 upgrade was done it might make a decent alternative when traffic is queueing for the the M1 sliproad (which is inadequate at peak times, having one lane feeding to four).

So no praise yet (apart from being suprised it's finished already) but I have heard a lot of complaints about the speed limit being enforced on the M62 "for workforce safety" when no work has been going on.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The Ferrybridge to Hook Moor section is opened to traffic but it is not officially open yet as there is a little more work to be carried out but there isnt a single cone on the new (Motorway).

Bleeding public, they moan when its being constructed and then they moan once it is constructed. :P

Looks pretty darn good....if you want any aerial sections of it let me know :lol:
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I used to live in Micklefield, (just below Hook Moor) so this bit has special interest to me. Some of it is going through the woods I used to roam as a kid.

About time it was upgraded though, should have been done 20 years ago.

I know we moan, but we know it's not your fault.

The government should spend half of what it gets out of us motorists on the roads for a start, if they had done this over the last few decades we wouldn't be in the state we are.

And they should stop pandering to tree huggers and NIMBYs. When they last upgraded that bit of road they didn't ask politely and go through ten years of consultations, they told people where it was going and they knocked down anything that was in the way. It was called progress.

If I was in power you'd have a heck of a lot more work.

Pssst, don't fancy sorting out a few of these while nobody is looking do you? This one is long overdue.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

At least you can be safe in the knowledge that im working on keeping the road clear and have absoutly no time what so ever to spare by going on the internet and relaxing :wink:
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I travel from Bradford to Howden in East Yorks each day to work - so go through the interchange on the M62.
There was a sign up telling drivers how many people had been caught by the two speed cameras on the M62 while the interchange was being built. I remember working out that the fines would amount to more than £1 million!!! :shock:

I've left a bit of rubber on the road from the times I almost forgot about the cameras.

The work took a while (two years?? it rarely looked like anything was going on) but it looks slick now.
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Rubber on the road.....bleeding typical......you know its me who will have to go and sweep it off....as if i havent got anything else better to do :lol:

Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Looks nice but why the wider sliproads off to the east where nobody lives (well, almost nobody). I think someone has underestimated how much traffic this will attract from/to the west which currently use other routes.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

RMS (Road Management Services) shall be maintaining the road for the next 30 years and regarding the question, the Interchange was designed also in mind regarding the traffic increase every year and if they are maintaining for 30 years they dont want something that will become unmanagable 10 years down the line.

Also note that the columns of the new bridges are flared at the top to con-incide with the cooling towers of the power station

And if you have seen those very large piles of gravel (3 in a group) note that this is architecture, a competition was done at the local school/s to produce a design to mark the new job....and yes thats right 3 big piles of gravel were chosen.

It is was won under the impression (of many) that it wouldnt attract vandals and people driving past at speed staring at the new 'monument' and then hitting something in front...like what happened with the Angel of the North.

Also this isnt an A1 upgrade, this is a new Motorway which people seem to forget and not a trunk road as before.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Out of Interest

Post by Clogzz »

mezuk04 wrote:What are your thoughts?
And more importantly any compliments to the engineers/people that work on the job?????
Sensational job ! Image
You can be proud of that. Image
Our hick town Image badly needs one like that. Image
How about coming to teach our incompetent primitives ? Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

mezuk04 wrote: And if you have seen those very large piles of gravel (3 in a group) note that this is architecture, ........
It is was won under the impression (of many) that it wouldnt attract vandals
I wager it will be on someones drive in a couple of weeks time.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Re: Out of Interest

Post by Homer »

Clogzz wrote:
mezuk04 wrote:What are your thoughts?
Sensational job ! Image
You can be proud of that. Image
Our hick town Image badly needs one like that.
What you don't realise is that is is on the main road between two of our capital cities.

Until now it was a poorly maintained and poor quality two lane dual carriageway.

Further north it's still single carriageway.

But it's nice that our roads are now coming up 20th century standards.