106 Fuel Pump Problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pheonix

106 Fuel Pump Problem

Post by Pheonix »

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my '95 106 1.0XN, Single Point Injection.

Basically, the fuel pump keeps cutting out. I've got the covers up, and tried a multimeter on the pump connector, and it would appear that it is the electrical supply to the pump.

Does anyone know what relay (if any) controls the pump circuit, or where it plugs in?

Any other diagnostic/fix recommendations VERY very welcome!!

Thankyou!
Regards
Joe
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

brown double relay under engine ecu will control fuel pump,when your car cuts out have a bulb connected to supply and earth on pump connector if bulb stays lit when it dies pump is at fault,had a few pumps fail.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

pugxpert wrote:brown double relay under engine ecu will control fuel pump,when your car cuts out have a bulb connected to supply and earth on pump connector if bulb stays lit when it dies pump is at fault,had a few pumps fail.
Hi Pugxpert...thanks for your help, you're the first person to be able to tell me where the relay is!!

I have checked the pump, and I'm 95% sure it isn't that, as I've had a multimeter plugged into the pump connector when the pump is and isn't working. When it is working, the circuit flashes 12v when the keys are moved to ignition 2, to prime the pump/engine. When it isn't working, there is no voltage coming across the circuit at all.

Will look for the relay in a bit and see if I can spot anything wrong. Not entirely sure how to get to it but I'm sure I'll figure it out :D
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Hi All,

I've looked for the relay and found it under the ECU. I've had a look at the connections, and they look fine.

I've tried testing the resistance across the relay, by plugging into the connector at the fuel pump end. However I don't think I'm going about this in the right way. So how exactly do I go about testing the relay while it is in the car?

Also, this relay does not exist as an aftermarket part according to GSF and lucas Spares. So anyone got a suggested source around Exeter? Peugeot want £40+Vat hence me being so keen to ensure it IS the relay thats the problem, and not the ECU, etc.

Thanks
Joe
Regards
Joe
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

unless you can get relay to fail it is very difficult to diagnose,try going to a scrappy and getting one most of them are the same througout peugeot/citroen range on the side of the relay is a diagram of circuit just compare with your scrappy one,also the connection fixing is either a red slider or a piece of wire around the plug which i think is what yours is
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Hi Mate,

I can get the relay to fail pretty easily by running the engine for five minutes, seems to cut out then...:S

The relay has the red catch you mentioned, is dead easy to remove. Am ringing round some scrappies today/tommorow to see if I can locate one in the vecinity. Unfortunately I can't drive there, but its well worth getting one cheap to see if its that, just incase. Would save me ALOT of money if I don't have to send it in somewhere!
Regards
Joe
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Have you tried looking in the car for another relay that can be a temporary substitute. I found the relay for the fuel pump for my MI16 was the same as the heated rear window in my 306.

Also is the relay getting hot? Chances are when it cools down the car will run again.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Hadn't considered temperature. Would explain the erratic starting probably.

Its a very big relay though, with 16 pins...hence not expecting anything else to be suitable.

Have rung round some scrap merchants, am waiting for one to get back to me.
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

I've got a replacement relay on the way via royal mail. Most of the scrappies I found with one wanted £35 odd + vat + del! Thats almost as expensive as a new one from pug! Luckily the first person to get back to me wanted £15, so this will do as a test. Also got my eye on an ECU error code reader on Ebay, so will aquire that just incase the problem isn't the relay (fingers crossed).

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Quick Question -

Having the battery disconnected for an extended period of time isn't going to cause any problems with the ECU is it?

Its disconnected as the injection relay for the car is on my desk, so that the part numbers are to have if needs be...[/b]
Regards
Joe
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

No

When the battery is reconnected the cars ECU will go back to the base factory settings.

It might be a sod to start at first & it will run odd & rough.

Dont worry about that, Thats what its ment to do.

Drive the car for about 30 minutes or around 15 miles & the ECU will re learn the engine & then run sweet :wink:
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

PowerLee wrote:No

When the battery is reconnected the cars ECU will go back to the base factory settings.

It might be a sod to start at first & it will run odd & rough.

Dont worry about that, Thats what its ment to do.

Drive the car for about 30 minutes or around 15 miles & the ECU will re learn the engine & then run sweet :wink:
Cool cheers mate. Wouldn't start but thats because of the relay problem - still waiting on the replacement at the moment. Am also purchasing an ECU fault coder reader cheap off ebay at the moment to double check that nothing else has gone wrong!
Regards
Joe
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

if you have a supply problem to ecu through relay you will find no fault codes in ecu,it just thinks its been turned off
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

pugxpert wrote:if you have a supply problem to ecu through relay you will find no fault codes in ecu,it just thinks its been turned off
Yeppers but if the relay doesn't solve the problem it'll be handy to check the ECU :)
Regards
Joe
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

ok. you can fault read ecu by earthing pin in diagnostic connector and light will flash a fault code. i think (long time since i have done one) earth pin for 3 seconds light will then flash once then pause then flash twice this gives 1 + 2 which is 12 start of sequence then earth again for another 3 sec then will flash another code.if it flashes 11 after 12 that is end of sequence and no codes were stored