zx subframe mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx subframe mounts

Post by 8304 »

Hi

ive just uprated my rear subframe in my zx to a volcane one with discs. However, there seems to be a slight knock occassionaly when cornering hard on rough surfaces.

I think it might be the dreaded rear subframe mounts !!!!:shock:

I think that it would be possible to loosen the mounts and drop the subframe enough under the car to change the mounts rather than removing it all together. my question is:

does it tend to be the front mounts or the back mounts that go first????

(i will probably just change the lot but if its the back ones that go first ill change them and mightent bother with the fronts - although i suspect its the fronts that go first)

cheers

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi alastair, It is indeed the front mounts that do the knocking... and if you've just changed the rear axle then the mounts will be easy for you! I just dropped my rear axle a bit as you say, then did my front and rear mounts a side at a time. If you change all four then you will see a real improvement in the cars' handling.. I found the best price for the mounts were GSF. Best wishes, martin
I won't do that again
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

thanks mpr1956

do you have a rough guide to the price of the mounts?

cheers
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

For prices have a look at the GSF or euro car parts on-line shop.
jeremy
ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Ahha, I was wondering what that knocking sound from the back might have been.. Is this a common problem? And further-more, is it easy to fix?

Cheers!
My Cars:

zx sub frame mounts

Post by 8304 »

yes the sub frame mounts are a common problem on the zx, it is due to the passive rear wheel steering allowing the subframe to steer in corners -because they flex on corners they wear out. I changed mine on the weekend, they cost about £50 all in for just the front ones as these are the ones which wear out - the back ones dont really wear out as they are a basic metalstic sadwich joby.
Its easy enough to do, take the carpet up in the boot and with the beam of the subframe supported on a jack, undo the front mounts out of the boot floor, this will alow the front of the subframe to be lowered enough to get at the mounts. You will have to remove the back box and spare wheel and it may pay to unclip the brake pipes from the boot floor so they have a greater distance to bend and so reduce the chance of snapping one...

the old mounts were really floppy and soft compared to the new ones - i could hardly move the new ones but the old were easily twisted.

no more nocking now!! :D

MK2 Cortina 1600e

ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Looks like a job for this weekend then 8)

Is there any *sporty* options available, or uprated bushes? I imagine I'll notice a huge improvement with just stock ones, but cant hurt to investigate other options :)

Cheers all
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I havn't seen any but it might be worth a look round the 306 camp
ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Im having a gander at both the GSF and ECP online shops, but they arent exactly useful as to explaining the different part numbers.

I can find the rear bushes / mounts, but there are only 3 parts listed,
rear L/H front mount,
rear R/H front mount
and then rear rear mount... Am i to assume they are the same and therefore need two rear rear mounts, or it is one box with two in a package?
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

You can get Group N rally spec hard rubber mounts for about £200 from PeugeotSport in France, or Skip Brown in Cheshire does a solid Group A kit (i.e. no rubber) for about the same price. Unfortunately the uprated 306 / ZX bits are about 4 times more expensive than for the 205 / 309. :roll:

I've just gone for the solid option on the recommendation of someone who did it to a 306 GTi. Should be fitted next week along with a thicker anti roll bar and a refurbished beam... can't wait to see what it's like! :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

One of the features of the ZX is the passive rear wheel steering which has been copied onto other cars and other makes beacause it works so well. i would have thought stiffening the relevant subframe mounts would reduce this effect and solid ones would eliminate it - and make it work like a conventional car.

My experience with a ZX 1.9D - yes no rocket I'll concede - is that the system works very well indeed and it enables very secure cornering in both wet and dry and adds considerably to the enjoyment of the car.

I'd have thought that stiffening the bushes would have impaired the cornering ability rather than enhancing it.
jeremy
My Cars:

zx subframe mounts

Post by 8304 »

helloooo

yeah i think i would agree with jeremy on this one - it mite be worth going stiffer mounts but solid ones would stop the passive steering wich is well worth having...

mine has got 40mm lower and stiffer springs at front, lowered 1.9i volcane rear subframe with new mounts at back and 195/50/15 tyres, its bumpier than standard but it sticks like glue :wink:

After changing my subframe and seeing how much beefier and stiffer the volcane one was i want to also change the front roll bar for a volcane one as i rekon this will be a further improvemen ( running gear was 1.8I rear subframe and td front springs etc originally)

but i spose that if you went for the stiffer mounts and say ragged it around a track or cornered Very hard you would probly get the same steering effect for a harder corner if you see what i mean... its probably down to how frequently and how hard it will be driven...... :twisted:

cheers

alastair

MK2 Cortina 1600e

stevieb

Post by stevieb »

ci_newman wrote:Im having a gander at both the GSF and ECP online shops, but they arent exactly useful as to explaining the different part numbers.
For reference - I use these http://www.pugspares.co.uk/main.asp to tie up part numbers extracted from my parts CD. They give the descriptions that are used in most parts books, which often differ from those on the CD (406 rear tie rods being described as droplinks etc).

Use the links for Cit or Renault stuff.

I've never used them, but as I say their website is useful :D .
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

<--- the photo should give you an idea of the sort of use the car will be getting :wink:

This thread on 306gti6.com has some interesting info on the beam mounts - the GSF ones seem to be stiff and cheap (although how long they'll last, who knows). I think I read on there somewhere else that GSF do 2 different types, and the cheaper ones are actually stiffer? Try searching.
lister
My Cars:

Post by lister »

HI, I've had the front ones go on a hatch & the rears on an estate. Don't know whether that's because of the extra overhang/body weight of the estate or that in a previous life it had been used for towing. They're all fairly easy to change though.
Not had a Citroen for 3 years after my Xantia Exclusive was nicked & smashed. 2 ZX Tds before that. Got our old ZX estate back home now. Glad to be back......