Xantia heater matrix - how much? & Sticky suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

psmith
My Cars:

Xantia heater matrix - how much? & Sticky suspension

Post by psmith »

Hello all

I'm pretty sure that the heater matrix on my 95 Xantia TD needs replacing and having looked what's involved I don't fancy the job myself.

Can anyone let me know how much should I expect to pay to have this done?

Also the rear of the car seems to be high and doesn't sink down when parked (I'm sure it used to when my father had it but I may be mistaken) and seems a bit "bouncy" when driving.

When I change the height using the lever next to the handbrake the rear sometimes doesn't respond and just stays where it is, I have to put it to the extremes of its travel 2 or 3 times before it moves. Any suggestions?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

heater matrix is about 2.5 to 3 days work, the rear susp sounds like the linkage needs greesing and or you rear spheres need replacing
regards malcolm
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

As far as I am aware it's a dash out job, which means at least a day's labour in any garage.

My matrix was leaking very slightly but a dose of Radweld put it right again.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If you are going to try a sealer try one made by TRUST automotive. a little dearer but said to be very effective without blocking up the passages. My matrix is partially blocked from the use of radweld by a previous owner and the heater is tepid.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Forte radiator sealer is also good on Xantia matrices. They claim it will not block the passages - and certainly on mine it sealed the leak (for 20k miles at least) and no reduction in heater output. Mind you, at £14 a bottle, it's half the price of a new matrix.

Having a matrix fitted in a 95 car will cost more (probably a lot) more than the car is worth!
Richard W
psmith
My Cars:

Post by psmith »

Thanks for the replies.

I figured it was at least an an all day job and would cost more than the car is worth. I'll give a sealant a try and maybe get the system flushed.

If that doesn't work I'll only drive it in warm, dry weather!

Cheers
Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

psmith wrote:Thanks for the replies.

If that doesn't work I'll only drive it in warm, dry weather!

Cheers
Paul
In that case then, chop off the roof and have an utterly unique Xantia Decap!!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

psmith wrote:If that doesn't work I'll only drive it in warm, dry weather!
Unfortunately, that won't make any difference because on the Xantia there is no tap or valve in the heater hoses, and all the water always flows through the matrix, irrespective of temperature setting.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citronut wrote:heater matrix is about 2.5 to 3 days work, the rear susp sounds like the linkage needs greesing and or you rear spheres need replacing
regards malcolm
Well the one thing with the heaters on cars currently that is certainly a pain in the a**e, and the wallet is the location of the heater matrix. In the past if you think of for example the Cortina, with the MK3 and MK4 variations they had a matrix that was easy to get to, and replace. :)
It was under the bonnet, and after taking off the hoses, and releasing the retaining screws it was slid out of the heater housing.

So now we have progress on many things on any make of car since then, but the burying of the matrix deep in the dash amongst many other components making it a difficult, and expensive job is not one of them. :x
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the reason they make cars like this now is so people wont bother to have them fixed ,because of the time and labour cost involved,the car makers dont wont them fixed
regards malcolm
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Ahh I can remember changing a cortina matrix, about ten minutes I recall :) I bought my ZX with the dash out ready for a new matrix, it took me about five hours to put it all back together again.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.