Thermostat

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

razner

Thermostat

Post by razner »

Hi,
I have a S reg 106 GTI and I think my thermostat may be busted.
Problem is, I can't find the thing. Where abouts on the radiator is it???
I want to try removing it as I read somewhere that you should be able to put it in a pan of hot water, and it should open up if it's working ok.
Razner
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Razner - It isn't on the radiator, it's on the engine. I'm more familiar with diesel layouts, but you'll probably need to move the air cleaner/ducting to get to it easily. You'll need to drain the radiator then remove the hose from the thermostat housing. Unbolt the housing, and the thermostat is underneath. Don't damage the sealing ring. If you place the thermostat in a pan of water, bring it to the boil, and by the time the water is boiling, the thermostat should be opening. If it doesn't, replace it. Also, if it doesn't close as the water cools, replace it. After refitting, refill the cooling system, taking the usual precautions with bleeding.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

I would change it anyway if there is any doubt. It is a small cost part - genuine one is about £15 from Peugeot - but if it fails it can wreck the engine. I bought a 40,000 mile 306 diesel and the radiator started to leak so replaced it - when I was at it I changed the thermostat as a precaution. Car before that was a 106 I had from new - at 50,000 miles it needed a coolant change and again I changed the thermostat while I was at it.
I keep the old one as an emergency spare, but probably more sense to have another new one for that!
Regards
Michael Goodlad