Upgrading Xsara disc brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i_want_one_of_those
My Cars:

Upgrading Xsara disc brakes

Post by i_want_one_of_those »

Hi there Guys & Dolls

Newbie here, hoping that I will not have too many problems that I need to resort to the site, but I must say I am impressed so far. Anyway.....

My partner has an R reg Xsara 1.4i.

It has 14 inch alloy wheels off of a Saxo VTR, with the correct size tyres.

The car has, IIRC 247 mm discs on the front. I have thought about increasing the size to 267 which is the standard size for the rest of the range, excluding the VTS. I think the sizes are correct from memory.

Anyway, I think that it is just a case of swapping over to the larger sized discs, pads, caliper and caliper carrier. And then rebleeding the system. Is it that easy :?:

Also, can I fit the larger size discs and calipers under the Saxo 14inch alloys :?: :?:

As I am here, can I swap the rear drums to disc brakes easily or not.

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Spence 8)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got a problem with the existing brakes? Are they fading or something? What are you hoping to achieve?
jeremy
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I recommend ATE Power Discs, which are grooved. Not too expensive but improve braking performance and are easy to fit.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I put the calipers from a volcane, and larger air cooled discs and pads on my ZX. But I think swopping with Berlingo is a better option. you need longer flexables if you do that I think. Jon did it a long while ago. A search may find the topic again.. :)

Swopping the back end is quite a big job I think, I didn't bother.. My ZX brakes are ok now. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I'd say its a waste of time as a 1.4 Xsara don't go fast enought to need bigger brakes. Uprated pads and discs arre probably the best option.
i_want_one_of_those
My Cars:

Post by i_want_one_of_those »

Thanx Guys

Thinking about the upgrade and the discs are the smallest in the Xsara family and they do not seem as responsive as the brakes on my Focus.

Just thought that when I come to replace the pads and discs I could take the opportunity to revamp the brakes thats all.

Just wondered about picking up the required parts from a breakers(with new discs and pads obviously) and doing the swap.

Spence 8)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

GSF are good for Brembo discs and pads. Very, very easy install. Done the brakes on both my Xsara VTR's. The last one took just and hour to do both side.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!