Xantia parts compatibility?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Xantia parts compatibility?

Post by adzbaby »

The car met with a wee accident, when parked in the local supermarket someone reversed straight back into the front of the car, cracking headlights, front grill.

Luckily the person who did it left their details under the wiper (not many that would).

However I would like to avoid insurance claims as them will undoubtedly make a meal out of it and source the parts myself.

I have found someone who has the parts but its an r reg and mine is an L reg, also my bonnet has some bad paint deterioration so I would like the bonnet as well. Are the parts compatible between the 2 models? I can see the car as its 80 miles away and want to confirm before wasting a trip.

Many thanks,
Adam.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the other Xantia is an early Lreg - i.e. truly a '97 phase I model - the parts would be compatible.

Someone mentioned here recently that phase I Xantiae are best recognised by the grille being fixed on the front - while phase II Xantia has the grille fixed to the bonnet.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

There are also two versions of the grill for the Series 1 Xantia.... before about 1995 has narrow slots and the chevron logo is on the bonnet. 1995 to 1997 has a grill with wider slots and the chevron on the grill, and no chevron on the bonnet.

The two versions of the bumper may fit the same car, but it would look a bit silly if you end up with either two chevrons (like someone recently posted about) or no chevrons :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If he's changing both the grille and the bonnet, there isn't a problem because that will replace both sets of chevrons.

Even if he doesn't do the bonnet, you can never have too many sets of Chevrons now can you? ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Kowalski wrote:If he's changing both the grille and the bonnet, there isn't a problem because that will replace both sets of chevrons.

Even if he doesn't do the bonnet, you can never have too many sets of Chevrons now can you? ;)
Does that mean these parts are interchangeable between phase I & II - as that is what this question is on :?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:
Kowalski wrote:If he's changing both the grille and the bonnet, there isn't a problem because that will replace both sets of chevrons.

Does that mean these parts are interchangeable between phase I & II - as that is what this question is on :?
I don't think so.

Aren't the headlights a different shape between the series 1 and series 2 cars as well ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I didn't mean to confuse you, I was talking about the fact that the phase I Xantias come with two different grilles, i.e. the chevrons can be on the grille or the bonnet. The different phase I grilles and bonnets would be interchangeable, but the car might look out of place if it had 2 sets of chevrons or no chevrons at all.

The phase II parts are most certainly not interchangeable with phase I, not unless you're swapping the fibreglass front crossmember (i.e. the thing that the bumper and radiator are fitted to. Probably the bumper too, definately bonnet and headlights as well.