C5 Estate Tailgate window won't open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

C5 Estate Tailgate window won't open

Post by Philjw »

Does any one have any idea why pressing the button on the outside of the tailgate window doesn't open it? I can hear the microswitch operating.
I have not checked anything as yet.
C5 2L HDI
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Oh well...this is based on my own experience with this particular problem.

Open the bootlid, remove the plastic screws that hold the liner. You don't have to remove it completely. You'll see a small solenoid, just push the lever coming out of it up, that will release the rear window.
With the window open, pull the small plastic lid cover and you will have at hand a small black plug. Just unplug it, and leave it for a few days.
Put a bit of sealer around the switch on the outside, where it joins beneath the wiper arm, except on the bottom. Leave it to dry for a few days (if it doesn't rain) and seal the bottom.

Of course, this explanation is valid if the solder part on the winow where the wires go isn't damaged...
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Thanks for your quick response. Since it was raining today you have probably made a good call. I guess you are telling me that the fault is caused by water in the plug and that the fault will keep occuring if I don't stop water getting in.
Cheers
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Yes!
I didn't seal mine, as i've left it disconnected for a week then connected it back in. Though only occasionally raining, it works as always. But sealing it is a good policy ;) You see, the solenoid is prepared for such events as long term operation and as such it simply stops working if receiving the contact pulse for a long time (in my point of view :P)
Leave it for an hour or so, then with a paper clip or even the car key, try to make contact inside the plug leads; if you hear the solenoid, then it's definitely water in the switch.
I'll make sure next time to get a piece of strand connecting the solenoid to the outside world ;) so i won't have to remove the cover...
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Self-amalgamating tape is excellent stuff for this sort of job :)
01c5estate
New User

Re: C5 Estate Tailgate window won't open

Post by 01c5estate »

I had a 2001 c5 estate with a bootlid that stopped working. I found that the cause was a small wire that had broken in the bellows coming from car (upper left hand side when botlid is open) Once I soldered this, the problem was solved. Cut a slit in the belllows and have a look for any broken wires. Also, opening and closing the boot can make the wires make contact again, which confuses the issue. I think that all the wires in these bellows tend to start breaking after a number of years. This issue will also occur in your door wiring causing your central locking and windows to fail. Drivers door usually starts first because of most use
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There are some further instruction in this thread.
Nebby

Post by Nebby »

I've just run through this to re-alighn the glass part of the window, the .PDF doc is a great help, it was hitting the offside lens cluster. That job done, next will be the rear wiper, lock and demist as none work. I'd like to ask if all these are caused by faulty wiring? Can it be repaired with a soldering iron? Could it be a completer replacment? Also how stiff should the sweep action of the wiper blade be if operated manually with the window open? It is quite stiff but doen't appear to be catching.