Rock hard suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonnyboy970

Rock hard suspension

Post by Jonnyboy970 »

My Xantia went in for a service and MOT on wednesday, it had been making a knocking noise from the o/s/f for a while and needed a ball joint. The garage had to wai for the part and so the car wasnt ready until friday. The suspension now seems to be bone hard- im driving down the road bouncing up and down in my seat like im in a mini!
I think the car spent a couple of days on top of a lift with the wheels hanging in mid air, (which will open the suspension to full stretch i think?)
Will this have caused the problem and will it settle down again?
Ive parked the car on its lowest setting for the night in the hope it might help - anyone got any pointers?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its riding at normal height, it will be one or more shperes that have failed. Try bouncing each corner of the car, the one with the duff sphere will be hard. But check that the ride height is correct first.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Sounds like the garage has botched something up.... its highly unlikely for a sphere diaphram to rupture by co-incidence while it was in for servicing, and two at the same time would be out of the question.

If it was riding fine when you took it in and now its rock hard I would be taking it back and asking them to sort it out for free. As Anders likes to say, always suspect recently done work for new problems before assuming a new problem is just a co-incidence :)

Is the ride height normal ?

What did they replace exactly ? If it was the rollbar droplink(s) they replaced, it's possible that while the rollbar link(s) were disconnected that they could have moved the rollbar excessively causing the height corrector plastic link to jump off or be damaged. (Just a possibility, I'm not saying thats what happened)

If both rollbar droplinks are disconnected at the same time the height corrector plastic link coupling from the rollbar must be disconnected first, (or the clamp undone) as the rollbar can swing down freely and cause the clip to pop off or be damaged, resulting in a loss of automatic height correction.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Jonnyboy970

Post by Jonnyboy970 »

They replaced the ball joint and caliper slide peg.
The car is a 1800 16v, 2000 V reg, and done 39k