Xantia rear height adjuster plastic clip?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zx&xantia

Xantia rear height adjuster plastic clip?

Post by zx&xantia »

Hi Guys,

I have a problem like many others with the rear height on my 96 Xantia (*antisink fitted).

I can get the car to settle at the bottom, or to settle at the top BUT the rear thgen does strange things.

1) If it is on the 'normal height' from the bottom, rear doesn't rise.
2) If it is on setting between top and middle the rear rises to the top and is rock hard. The only way to get rear 'soft' again is to put lever at bottom again and then put back to mid before rear has fallen all the way.

I have WD40'd all the linkages, and have ssen the plastic clip people refer to. This is attached to the height control valve BUT it isn't connected to the abti roll bar. It seems to move onto a plate on the roll bar, is the meant to be hard fixed to the roll bar bracket?

If it is meant to be hard fixed how is it meant to be?
If the fixing has disappeared then would using a cable tie work?

Many thanks for any help.

Mark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cap ... 366010.gif

The linkage rod should of course be fixed at its balljoint. It "pops" on (or off) the ball. If it has cracked it wont stay on. Sometimes the short ballpin ond the ARB simply has snapped off.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when the nylon cups become worn they dont stay in place,and the best fix is a new nylon link,then it will snap onto both of the metal balls one on H/C bracket and the other on the anti roll bar bracket,as Anders said sometimes the ball on the H/C bracket come away from said bracket ans is still in the nylon link cup(socket),i have fixed this before by welding the base of the ball back on to the bracket
REGARDS MALCOLM
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citronut wrote:when the nylon cups become worn they dont stay in place,and the best fix is a new nylon link,then it will snap onto both of the metal balls one on H/C bracket and the other on the anti roll bar bracket,as Anders said sometimes the ball on the H/C bracket come away from said bracket ans is still in the nylon link cup(socket),i have fixed this before by welding the base of the ball back on to the bracket
REGARDS MALCOLM
He's saying its not connected at the rollbar link end however.

Mark, it's not quite clear what you're saying is wrong - from the rollbar there is a clamp, from the side of that clamp there is a short curved steel rod which is bronze welded (?) into the clamp. This rod should NOT turn relative to the clamp.

If it's broken away at this point you should be able to get it re-welded, but it may be difficult to know what angle it should be welded at if you're not familiar with it. (Possibly better to get one from a scrapyard instead)

On the end of this rod is a steel ball which forms a balljoint. Is that missing ? If so, look inside the plastic cup :lol:

If it is broken off, once again, you should get another clamp and rod linkage from a scrapyard, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the ball as the working of the balljoint is quite critical for things to work without the link popping off in future. (It's under a lot of strain)

Also it would be a very good idea to replace the nylon link as well because as Anders says they wear out, however you want to use a NEW one not a second hand one. If you're in the UK they are cheap and easy to obtain from Citroen.

While you're at it, make sure you get the little foam/felt seals that go on the cup at each end - they're important to keep dirt out of the joints and you've almost certainly lost the one belonging to the broken end...

I replaced the link on my front height corrector not because it was popping off but because it was badly worn and causing inaccurate height corrections, and it was surprising how badly worn the old one was when I compared it to the new one. I can see why they start to pop off when they wear out...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the way i read what Mark said is the link isnt atached to the anti roll bar,and the one i welded the ball back onto the bracket at H/C end ,the peg end of the ball was still on the ball and i refitted it through the bracket and miged it on the under side of the bracket,this was a perfectly good repaire
regards malcolm