406 odo problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonasy

406 odo problem

Post by jonasy »

406 2.0 auto

hi, how ru doing

the odo shows: 100km
but actual running: 80-90km
what's the problem please?

recently,
1. I changed a new set of tyre, but same specification with original
2. changed a pair of new Borg Warner solenoid in automatic box, but did't update ECU so far, they are not compatible with present ECU version
I'm not sure if the these could cause the problem of odo?

thanx
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i would check your drive in gearbox pinion and worm ,go to your dealer they can tell you on laser what should be fitted they are colour coded.The worm on al4 can be changed without stripping gearbox pop o/s seal out and 2 small thin screwdrivers to release worm.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

pugxpert wrote:i would check your drive in gearbox pinion and worm ,go to your dealer they can tell you on laser what should be fitted they are colour coded.The worm on al4 can be changed without stripping gearbox pop o/s seal out and 2 small thin screwdrivers to release worm.
thanks
please tell in more details, where is the worm , how to find them? how to adjust? can it be fitted againest experience?
I have changed two solenoid valves of gearbox(open the cover, take down the valve body), is the problem caused by above procedures?
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

would not of thought that by changing valves would have effected speedo.worm is inside gearbo need to remove right driveshaft and oil seal then it can be removed or remove speed sensor and look down and count no of teeth on worm and pinion and check with your dealer that it is correct.the speedos are not accurate they always read a bit high in uk you can be doing 70mph on speedo but a gps will tell you that your doing 67mph
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

i checked at 60km/h(my car), it reads 56.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

i checked at 60km/h(my car), it reads 56, but didn't count no. of teeth.
actually, my car has only run 50000km, so i'm not sure if the teeth damaged. It's unbelievable!

besides, should I consider the speed sensor is dirty?

what type of Bosch spark plug can be used instead of Eyquem RFN58LZ 101AB please?
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

if sensor was faulty you would have no speedo at all or needle would drop down and back up,sounds like your speedo is not out by very much i would not bother about it.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

many thanks

the a/t output speed sensor send signal to engine ECU, if it's no problem, then, should I consider ABS sensor? because the total mileage(milemeter/odometer)showed on little LCD derives from the ABS signal.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

not sure if you have speed sensor on gearbox it is hard wired to bsi if no sensor then it is sent via can bus. wheel size info is a configurable function in abs ecu .what year is your 406 is it a fully multiplexed version?
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

pugxpert wrote:not sure if you have speed sensor on gearbox it is hard wired to bsi if no sensor then it is sent via can bus. wheel size info is a configurable function in abs ecu .what year is your 406 is it a fully multiplexed version?
mine was built on june 2001, vin is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
2.0 auto gasoine DAM is 8988
i think there is can-bus on my car(multiplexing), diagostic compuuter connect to my car to check everything. but there is also a speed sensor on gearbox shell.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

pugxpert, are you in please?
besides, I changed a pair of new snail horn, which is bigger and different brand. if they would affect speedo signal?
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

what is a a snail horn some kind of french thing??
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

today i disconnected the speed sensor on gearbox, speedo and milemeter/speedometer don't work. then we can understand it is the signal source.
as well removed the worm for checking, seems no problem.
then????????????? is it the problem of speed sensor on gearbox? or gearbox?(i have changed two new solenoid valve for pressure control)
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i think that there is nothing wrong with your car your speedo is working and is only out by a few km/per hour i would compare with another car or have speedo verified on a rolling road!
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

pugxpert wrote:i think that there is nothing wrong with your car your speedo is working and is only out by a few km/per hour i would compare with another car or have speedo verified on a rolling road!
but, the difference is too big between actual running and odometer shows, almost 20%.