thinking about buying this BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonineaston
My Cars:

thinking about buying this BX

Post by simonineaston »

I'm looking at a v.clean TZD 1.7 on an H plate - anyone know when ABS began to be fitted to this model?
cheers,
Simon ('91 TZD Turbo)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I think it was an option from about 88 on various BXs, usual faults are the sensor cables chafing through, best option is to buy some co-axial and heatshrink and repair them if the light wont go out as theyre around £75 each. good info on BX diy website. BUY THE CAR you can always remove warning bulb and ABS badge :D
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

you can always remove warning bulb and ABS badge

Any proper MoT tester will NOT fail to see the ABS valve block/wiring and automatically fail it.

Originally fitted it must work!
88 BX 1.7 Diesel Turbo now gone
PICASSO 1.6 HDi 92 - time will tell!
83 TR7 conv never welded yet!
96 Fiesta 1.25 x 2
87 VW GTI waiting cam belt (no time)

www.cyanic.co.uk
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Then remove that as well!
simonineaston
My Cars:

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for handy tips and info folks, but at this stage, I'm just trying to work out what cars ABS is fitted to. I rather fancy having this feature, and it isn't clear to me yet if it was fitted to certain models, and not to others. From what you say Stewart, it seems as if it was an option on various different models i.e. I might find one 1.7.TZD WITH abs and another, from the same year, without!
cheers,
Simon ('91 TZD Turbo)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that the TZD being one of the last models produced, had ABS as standard, certianly mine did, and I dont recall having a problem with it until I fitted new rear suspension arm bearings and managed to break one of the sensors trying to remove it, which incidentally is not actually necessary, as you can disconnect the lead under the back seat. Most of my 50 years of driving have been without ABS, so I am not all that bothered about it myself, its just something else to go wrong. Having said that, it could just prevent an accident under the right circumstances.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

ABS was fitted 88 onwards. My 'What Car' for March 1990 shows that it cost £832 and was optional on 16TZs, TGDTurbo, 19TZD, TZDTurbo (+Estate), 19TZS (+ Estate).

It was standard on 19GTi, GTi 4x4, and 16 Valve, as well as the TZi Estate.

My own 89 DTR Turbo Estate (really an early TZD) has it.

I expect it was like may options - specified for certain markets by the factory who then left it to the dealers to get rid.

Just from looking around I wonder if it was deleted as standard on some later GTi's (not 16 valves)

Nice when it works - I'm glad mine does - it may save my life one day - particularily if I get caught by surprise.

jeremy
jeremy