Xantia petrol self adjust Clutch Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

magicride

Xantia petrol self adjust Clutch Cable

Post by magicride »

i am fitting a manual box to my originally auto. i got the box from a running car that i got cheap. it comes with a clutch cable which looks like a self adjusting cable.

any idea how to install this properly? cant seem to find any info on this. only see those non adjustable ones.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

First of all you need a clutch pedal - which would not be there in an auto :idea:
Then you simply release the cable adjuster lock to extend the cable full lenght. Fit the cable both ends and play with the pedal.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:First of all you need a clutch pedal - which would not be there in an auto :idea:
Err, and you need a new brake pedal assembly too... the automatic has a MUCH wider brake pedal than a manual, and if you tried to fit a clutch there there would not be enough room or you would be forever pressing the clutch and brake together.

Then there is the gear lever to deal with of course.....you would need the entire gear lever mechanism including mountings which may not have come with the gearbox.

A doable project, but not as drop in and straight forward as you might suspect. There may be many snags along the way, even things like hydraulic pipes routed in such a way that puts them in the way - remember that the manual gear lever is a pivoting mechanical linkage, while the automatic gear lever is connected via bowden cable.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
magicride

Post by magicride »

thanx, yea i am aware of that. the donor car is with me.

the conversion requires me to dismantle the dashboard and centre console and transfer the whole pedal assembly from the manual car.

it is just the cable i am not sure about as the XTD uses the conventional cable.