fuel lines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

fuel lines

Post by caveman_si »

Ive already posted in the pug section but was just wondering if one of you gents in here might have a view on this:

pug 405 1.9td
When cold/not run fora while the car is a pig to start needing to be turned over for ages or the priming bulb pumped and turned over for a bit. If its been run recently up to about 8-10hrs not a prob starts as soon as the glow light goes out. And i know the glow plugs are good only changed them before xmas.
To me this says air in fuel line now all the bits in the engine are good ie leak off pipes, fuel filter on tight etc. Also Im starting to get bits in my fuel filter that looks like small rusty bits and under the car the metal fuel lines look terrible.

So could the metal fuel lines under the car failing be causing this intermitant air leak type of problem? (no fuel leaks on floor)

Was planning to replace them this year anyway but does anyone know why there is a section of metal piping in the fuel send and return pipes? as the pipes in out of both fuel tank and engine are rubber?
Also is there any problems replacing the metal section of piping with rubber pipes??

cheers si
406 lx 1.9td estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Certainly sounds like air ingress, could be the primer bulb itself. I assume from what you say that you have had the fuel filter off, the seals on the filter are a favourite source of leaks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Certainly steel fuel pipe for BX isn't very expensive and apparently not very difficult to fit.

To see if you have cured the leaks you could fit a clear plastic section of pipe instead of the last pipe to the pump which would make any bubbles visible.

Its common for the steel and other pipe to deteriorate and let air in but not let fuel out.
jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Its probably got something to do with your pipes being rather rusty underneath! Your likely to have the original pipes on yours as its been waxoiled many times and it's not unreasonable to change the pipes after 200,000 miles, there only around £11 each and easy to fit, infact you only need to raise one side of the can on the BX!

The two rubber ends are siimply because it would be too difficult to fit a metal pipe up the sides of the tank and through the engine! As best i know its an MOT requirement to have metal pipes so i suspect it is so they dont get snagged or rubbed through when your off roading. The rubber will also sag and eventually go brittle if its too close to the exhaust! It's around £3 a metre for rubber pipeing at moparts so even if you want to the hassle of trying to fit the rubber it would likely be cheaper to just buy the proper pipes from Pug!

Oh and lets face it, we all know who it is that will be doing the job anyway!