Car wanted. Any idea's?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Car wanted. Any idea's?

Post by James.UK »

Jean has killed the Mazda. :( She ran into the back of a big Renault. :shock: The Mazda front slid underneath it and shoved the rad back into the air con etc etc... :cry: No one was hurt, the air bag didn't even deploy. :roll:

She has a brand new Vaux Corsa autotiptonic fingy courtesy car, (has to go back on Saturday).. and she hates it with a vengeance.. :twisted: The gearchange feels like a normal clutch change done by a very bad driver.. lol.. And it's rather slim inside, feels very cramped.. It also has a very hard suspension, clonks over every bump in the road.. Yukk! :roll:

Sooo what to get now? Must haves.. Auto box and Air con. pref a medium size saloon (bit bigger than a ZX)... That's it.. Price range up to £3,000 ish.. Anyone got any recommendations please?

Have looked a Chrysler neon 2 litre auto Y reg.. Poor fuel consumption, tiny boot, interior finish and material looked a bit cheap and shoddy. :roll: .. And a Merc C180 P reg auto.. Nice interior but same problem with mpg. Less than 20 mpg round town is not good enough.. 25+ would be ok.

Sooo any ideas - recommendations please?? .. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

A bit bigger than a ZX? Why, a Xantia of course :D:D:D! (i don't know how they go with autos in 2nd hand market , though)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

406. erm.. yeah right!! :shock: After reading this forum for years I will give Xantias a miss thanks, I prefer something more reliable, and less complex.. :roll: XM maybe? heh heh ... NOT!.. :D ... ZX 1.9D estate with auto and air con would be nice though? :D
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

What about a Ford Mondeo Ghia 1.8 auto. All round power windows, p.a.s and airbag(s), air con (and possible sunroof as a option), heated front windscreen, front fogs, heated front seats, abs and it's reliable (ask my dad he has one 8-[ ). Yes it may be a bit boring/mundane/family loadlugger but its bloody reliable at what it does. And you can get a good one for £2500-£3000 if you shop around.

Or you could go and buy a Vectra...........(yeah right).
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Not a Chrysler Neon thats for sure. Too unreliable and hard to get parts for. I'd be thinking of something Japanese like the Honda Accord. The thought of an electronically controlled autobox needing repair would frighten me. I know of a 406 auto that had a £1500 gearbox repair and the car was never the same afterwards.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

You can get them cheaper than that, mate of mine boought a one owner T plater similar spec to above for about 700 quid. FSH etc.

Why the hell you would want a ford thought????
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would have to agree with 406 and disagree with the OP regarding the Xantia, Im only 20 and have owned the Xantia for coming on 5 months now and although i may not of had a big back date of cars like most (inc a 20 yr old fessa :oops: )...i can comfortably say its the best car i have and if i dont go for the company car option early this year then, well of course i shall be getting another Xantia in the late year (do 40,000 a year so i change every year now)....i have to admit if it wasnt for this forum i would never have even contemplated a Xantia (big, scary and complicated) but since im a local i felt fairly comfy and confident to purchase one and its been the best decision yet.

As far as complicated and possibly expensive i dont think there unlike any other car in that respect to be honest
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Stinkwheel wrote:You can get them cheaper than that, mate of mine boought a one owner T plater similar spec to above for about 700 quid. FSH etc.

£1500 was the cost of repairing the gearbox not the price of the car.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Has anybody suggested a Xsara? Just like the ZX you knew and loved except marginally larger and with newer engines, the Xsara got the HDI 90 and 110.

Xantias may have complexity to them, but my current one has had NOTHING done to the suspension aside from 6 spheres and a fluid change over 2 and a half years of my ownership. The hydraulics really aren't so complex on the non-hydractive models and the only thing that causes grief is the clip on the rear height corrector.

£3000 won't get you a C4 or C5, have you considered a Rover 75, Paranoid's new one ate its turbo in less than a month but they're cheap as chips and probably the thing to buy right now in terms of value for money.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

£1500 was the cost of repairing the gearbox not the price of the car.
sorry i meant the ford mundano above your post.
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hmm some interesting comments.. Thanks.. :) I am considering the Rover 600 series as long as it has the Honda engine and g/box. VW Passat is another one I am adding to the 'possibles' list..

Kowalski? I have never seen an auto Xsara for sale anywhere, do they make one? I would certainly look at one.. :) Come to think of it, a Citroen Aura 1.9D auto estate would be very nice.. :) Not seen any for sale though.. :roll:

Whilst my preferance is diesel, Jean was - would be, quite happy with a petrol engined car.. :shock:

I arranged to look at a 1998 Honda Accord 2.0i SE earlier today, then realised the internet search engine had read the "auto CD changer" and listed it under "auto's" :( and had to ring them back and cancell the appointment.. :oops: shame as it was a nice car.. :roll:

If anyone needs a mazda 323f exec (with aircon) 1.8i engine and box, I know where there is an extremely low mileage one!! (18k) 'More-than' insurance have got one now :shock: ... My semi tame mechanic wasnt interested, he commented that they don't go wrong, so there's no demand for one.??? The battery on it was bought last Oct. But will only fit that model Mazda, so its still in the car..

I still fancy that pale blue Honda Accord though, leather seats, air con, all the bits.. *sighs* :wink: :D lol.
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

- Because its more reliable than a Xantia. Thats why - Anthony.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Well it finaly came down to a choice of two cars.. One.. A V reg, red Rover 620 (Honda engine and autobox) two owners, 66k, full history, air con, blk leather, all elecs, allys, etc etc. Nice car for £1.700 (that was my choice)...

Two, (her preferance).. Peugeot 306. V reg, 1.6 petrol, auto, one lady owner, full history, Dark blue, 60k for £2.550. So no prizes for guessing what she bought :roll: yep.. She chose the Peugeot.. lol... Got to collect it on Tuesday, after its been Taxed, serviced and M.O.T'd (all paid for by the garage). :)

Apparently the deciding factor was,. she had had a red car once and it was always breaking down! :roll: :D :D dohh :oops: .. lol..

So the hunt is over. Thanks for all the help.. :D :) and I now have two of our forums to keep an eye on!! lmho...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

James.UK wrote:Peugeot 306. V reg, 1.6 petrol, auto, one lady owner, full history, Dark blue, 60k for £2.550. So no prizes for guessing what she bought :roll: yep.. She chose the Peugeot.. lol... Got to collect it on Tuesday, after its been Taxed, serviced and M.O.T'd (all paid for by the garage). :)
So, you've bought another ZX (abeit in fancy Peugeot clothes) and paid extra for the badge! We'll concentrate on converting you back to Citroen later ;)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

hi James, pug 306! and this is the lady that got rid of that nice ZX, full circle :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.