changing Fuel lines

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

changing Fuel lines

Post by caveman_si »

pug 405 1.9td
When cold/not run fora while the car is a pig to start needing to be turned over for ages or the priming bulb pumped and turned over for a bit. If its been run recently up to about 8-10hrs not a prob starts as soon as the glow light goes out. And i know the glow plugs are good only changed them before xmas.
To me this says air in fuel line now all the bits in the engine are good ie leak off pipes, fuel filter on tight etc. Also Im starting to get bits in my fuel filter that looks like small rusty bits and under the car the metal fuel lines look terrible.

So could the metal fuel lines under the car failing be causing this intermitant air leak type of problem? (no fuel leaks on floor)

Was planning to replace them this year anyway but does anyone know why there is a section of metal piping in the fuel send and return pipes? as the pipes in out of both fuel tank and engine are rubber?
Also is there any problems replacing the metal section of piping with rubber pipes??

cheers si
406 lx 1.9td estate
Doughboy
My Cars:

Post by Doughboy »

I would change the metal pipes to rubber ones straight away. It shouldn't be too difficult to do. As I have found out to my cost; just because the pipes aren't leaking diesel it doesn't mean that air isn't getting in.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

well would u believe it found my problem wasnt the fuel pipes after all (im still going to change them at some point soon tho)

It was the fuel filter. It was a standard metal topped filter with a rubber o-ring round the edge and appears that it wasnt sealing properly. Air was getting in here and causing the poor starting. It also seems the air getting in has also caused a few glow plugs to go. as when its really cold it takes for ever (up to a minute) to crank over even if cycling the glowplugs on a few times.

But the filter i got to replace it was an unsual one completely plastic casing and top with a little o ring on the top and its blood fantastic. the priming bulb has never been so hard.

Also been advised not to replace the metal fuel pipes with rubber ones. mainly as they are under the car and subject to crap flying up and less prone to breaks or going porous like rubber can.
406 lx 1.9td estate