Xantia with no lights (repaired).

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Xantia with no lights (repaired).

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hello All,

Thanks firstly to all who chipped in with advice on what might be wrong with my lights and immobilizer keypad.
As it turns out they both receive their power from the same wire which had rotted through just under the radiator. I am not surprised it rotted as the insulator (white) looks like something from a 1950's Rowenta iron.
Anyhoo, she's running again and is actually starting more quickly which makes me think that the wire may also be conntected to the pre-heaters somewhere. With a Xantia I could believe anything. :D

Cheers
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there, I was following that thread with interest... I'm glad you reported back here with the answer, as it could happen to others! ( We also now know what happens when domestic appliances are superseded... - citroen use the old cables ! ) - Did you do your own faultfinding by the way?
I won't do that again
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi MPR,
It wasn't so much fault-finding as find the fault.
I have had several failures on the car from the same type of fault.
I asked the forum for advice on this as at the time I wasn't sure if both systems had failed at the same time.
It seems on my car at least that if some thing stops working, it's more than likely because a feed has rotted through than the item in question has simply died.
This will be my last Citroen, a mechanic friend of mine says that Pugs are just as bad. A pattern is emerging.
In answer to your question, yes I found the fault and repaired it myself, on the ground, in the rain, again.

Cheers

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done for your perseverance, If you had taken it to a garage you would have paid for all those hours!

A 1950s Rowenta iron? you must be as old as me.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Sorry Peter,

Don't let my choice of an "old mans" car fool you, my parents were kids in the fifties!
The worrying thing is, if I'm driving an old mans car now, what will I drive when I do get older.

At my age, when I'm on my back inside the car, it shouldn't be because I'm fixing the thing.

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Steve :wink:

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't count on it Steve, I'm still fixing mine at 67! I have always driven and 'old mans' car, as I prefer comfort to speed.

The iron struck a chord as I worked in a tv / radio .electrical shop in the '50s repairing those sort of things.

Peter.