I replaced my ZX's rear dampers! Success!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

I replaced my ZX's rear dampers! Success!

Post by oscarloco »

Wohoo! I finally had the time to do it. I followed the BOL and besides the "jack front of the car" typo, everything was as the manual said.

Only thing is, I had to remove the box silencer and since the exhaust is 11 years old, the tube broke and had to get it fixed :shock: since I made more noise than a 747 at take off :)

My father told me that he had taken the car to the local Citroen dealership a few years ago for the same job. And "what a surprise", all the bolts were tighter than specs (BOL says 52 and 55 lbs), the lower bolt was torqued to more than 100 lbs! I know because my torque wrench doesn't go more than 100. So I had to use my left leg to push on the ratchet handle.

But everything is in order. :D
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You torque bolts???!!!
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

getting bolt torque correct is easy, just use the REME method. Tighten it until it sheers, then slack it off half a turn! Sorted
French car free zone....
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

When I did mine the top bolts must have been there since the car was built, jeez they were tight, all the way out too, nothing like new shocks to make a car (or Bike) feel good though.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.