406 hdi nightmare!!pleaseplease help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barlols1973

406 hdi nightmare!!pleaseplease help

Post by barlols1973 »

HI

i've just purchased a 2001 406 hdi 110 from a mate. the car has full main dealer history and has done 125k.

However it has been parked up for a while (3-4 months) and when i purchased it had to put a new battery as the old one was flat dead.

however since getting it the multi function board has been going mad. Fisrtly the cars remote key stopped working, although sometimes it does. Then the immobliser doesnt go off, so i cant turn the damn thing on. The other day i parked the car and locked it with the remote. A few minutes later i saw the mulitfiunctio display come on with the 'immobliser faulty' showing. Funny enough when i press the break pedal, all the warning lights go off and the car then starts. Worse still the abs warning light has been coming on since the new battery and the abs brakes aint working.

yestreday i started her up in the morning and straight away the damn mulifunction board started bellpeing with the msg that the coolant temp was very hot! After driving the car too work with the red stop light flashing, 30 mins later i started the car and all was ok. also the airbag light and warning comes on as it pleases.

today she didnt start at all, due to a flat battery, even though the battery is only 2 weeks old and i am sure i didnt leave anything on. Only thing i can think of his the display showing immobliser not working was on all night..
any suggestions????? please help
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

Is the car standard? Nothing been added on to it like a different radio or tow bar etc?

When was the last time the car was seen by a Peugeot main dealer?

Have you checked the main earth wire from the battery where it connects on top of the gearbox & then onto the body shell of the car?

This 406 uses Peugeots multiplex electrical system, It might need a software update from a main dealer.

You can try this, With the ignition key removed, Disconnect BOTH battery leads & then touch the ends of the leads together for a few seconds, Then reconnect the leads to the battery & see if matters improve.

It sounds a lot like the multiplex system has got upset with being left for a few months & the battery going flat & is now having a sulk.
barlols1973

Post by barlols1973 »

thnaks for your reply. Sulking? jeeze mate i thought i had enough on my plate with the missus sulking once a month, let alone my car aswell :lol:

anyway, funny e nough one thing i didnt mention was the car has had a nokia hands free kit fitted when i bought it. But this doesnt seem to be working and the radio/cd player is constantly on ' ext mute' mode (i.e No sound). Was going to have thi hands free kit removed in hope of getting sound back. U dont thing something as trivial as this could effect all the above do u?

car was last serviced july 2005 ( 13,000 miles ago) at a cost of 1600 quid! think had a new head gasket etc.

will try disconnecting battery and see what happnes

cheers
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Who serviced the car last? A garage or a Peugeot main dealer?

Also does it have a cd changer in the corner of the boot?

The multiplex system is digital, Things in the car are inter connected with each other & talk to each other with digital signals, Mess about with it by installing other electrical things incorrectly & all hell breaks lose with the cars electric's.

You can add things on like radios, hands free car kits, tow bars etc but they MUST be installed correctly to avoid upsetting the multiplex system.

The only other things I can think of are:

The car is running out of date software because it hasn't been near a Peugeot dealer in ages.

The BSI ( built in systems interface ) is faulty.

The COMM 2000 unit is faulty.

The main earth wire from battery is faulty or the connection is dodgy at one end.

Water has got inside the cd changer ( If fitted ) & upset the mutliplex system.
barlols1973

Post by barlols1973 »

ok update....

powerlee mate i did as u said wih the battery terminals. and then charged the battery up and the car started.

however so far theres some good news. As i said the cd/radio was not working, as it was constantly on 'ext mute' mode, something to do with the nokia hands free kit. But hey presto now it works for the first time ever. Also so far the remote key works and the immobloiser failure thingy has not come on ( its been 1 hour now). so it could just be what u said has done the trick! if it has, mate a billlion thanks!!!!

however the ABS failure warning is still showing and the brakes 'really' dont work with ABS. My mate who i brought it from swears all was well before he parked her up.....

As for the service car has had full dealer history ( was ex HSBC company car) and nothing was missed. Like i said only service in July 2005 for 1600 quid!

will see if the imobliser has come on again 2morow, otherwise looks goood......

will let u know!
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

That trick with the battery terminals dissipates all the stray voltage from the cars electrical system & when you re connect the battery it re boots the multiplex system afresh.

For the ABS problem first check all the brake lights are working on the back of the car.

Then check the fuses in the fuse box inside the car & under the bonnet to see if any ABS related fuses have blown, Check the main earth from the ABS unit too.

If that hasn't fixed it & the ABS light is on all the time its either a dodgy electrical connection ( nothing new there for a Peugeot ) or an ABS sensor has gone down or in rare cases the switch on the brake pedal has gone faulty ( can happen & the brake lights will still work )

The ABS sensors normally have a grey 2 pin plug, You should find one behind each side trim inside the boot & again around each front corner of the car, Check the connections are clean & tight & if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance across the sensor to locate a duff one, Theres loads of ABS resistance info on this forum if you have a little search.

I had an ABS light problem on a 405, The cure was a dodgy earth up behind the dash on the passenger side, I only found that fault when I removed a bit of trim to fix something else & forgot to turn the ignition off, I moved the trim & the ABS light came on, Dodgy earth connection was the cause.

Then if that still doesn't sort the problem out the best thing to do is seek a garage with a fault code reader & extract the fault code from the ABS ECU & go from there.

Also on the multiplex 406 the handbrake switch has been modified, Bear this in mind if the car starts flashing up low brake fluid / handbrake on warnings when it really shouldn't be.