Xantia lost power and died

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terry4444
My Cars:

Xantia lost power and died

Post by terry4444 »

My Xantia LX 1.9 TD P Reg has recently been in a garage were they told me they had changed the glow plugs, replaced the cam belt, had the fuel pump reconditioned, replaced the water pump, replaced the oil filter also.

I have driven it for a week with no problems, but coming home from work on friday having driven for 4-5 miles the engine maagement light came on. No others. There was a puff of bluey black smoke from the exhaust, and the engine just cut out completely.

On inspection I noted that the hand primer, blub had sucked in flat, I found it very hard to get it to fill up with fuel again and get it reasonably firm. I turned the engine over and the primer, bulb was immeadiatly flat again.

Having paid £560 odd pounds to this garage I am reluctant at this stage to get them involved again at this stage.

Any advice or help to explain what is wrong or could have gone wrong would be great. Cheers.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though have a blockage in the fuel line or tank. Try disconnecting the fuel line from the primer bulb, on the tank side, and blow some compressed air down it. Also check your fuel filler cap, the vent hole may have become blocked.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It sounds as if the fuel tank vent has become blocked for some reason. Try undoing the fuel cap to see whether the vacuum in the primer pump is relieved.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Change the primber pump too. After many years, it will weaken and collapse. I opened mine and found out the rubber inside disintegrating, flakes coming off.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
terry4444
My Cars:

Post by terry4444 »

Hi Guy's

many thanks for your input, there is no vacum on the cap when released, on removing the filter this is a lot of sandy looking deposits which I am about to remove with lots of cotten buds. Will get back to you all after this.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Does the Xantia have a filter on the fuel pick up in the tank? have you run very low on fuel recently? I suggest blowing down the fuel line from the under bonnet end with a footpump or similar whilst an accomplice listens at the filler cap.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
terry4444
My Cars:

Post by terry4444 »

It's looking like when the garage had it , they had used pratically all the deisol. When I picked it up I had to put fuel in to get it home. When I have managed to remove the primer and draw a bit of fuel off it looks to have bits floating in it . So may be contaminated fuel?

The stuff I removed from underneath the filter is almost a fibre type deposit?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like contamminated fuel. Hell of a job I expect - hopefully the filter had done its job but the collapsed bulb suggests problems at the tank end. You may be able to remove the sender unit and pipe unit from the tank by undoing the rings and lifting out (you can on ZX and BX) in which case you can get inside the tank without taking it out.

A possible way in could be the filler tube - with a slack connection. I have never seen a xantia system but its worth having a look all around - or alternatively someone has sold you contamminated fuel which is possible.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant you get in contact with the garage and say you have spoken to several Citroen specalists that you know and tell them that they have ruined your car and want something sorting out now!!! :roll:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(