Xantia rumbles on left handers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia rumbles on left handers

Post by CitroJim »

This problem has me stumped. My Xantia, only when really cold, occasionally makes a rumbling sound when going round left hand bends on a bumpy surface. Never right handers and only usually once or twice at the start of a journey. Once everything has warmed up all is fine. The noise is reminicient of a worn lower balljoint, track rod end or worn drop links and seems to come from the offside front. I cannot feel anything either through the car or the steering and handlng and ride are fine - it's just a noise.

I have checked everything. All joints are fine, there is nothing loose anywhere, the droplinks are fine, the CV joits are fine (no noise on full lock) all is secure. I thought at one time it was the offside handbrake cable rattling against one of it's guide rings (it had worn through the outer plastic sheath) but I sleeved it and the problem remains. I thought it might be a caliper rattling but the noise occurs with handbrake lightly applied going around left-handers so it's not that. I've checked the exhaust is not contacting anywhere as the noise is not dissimilar to an exhaust knocking the bodywork gently. I'm sure something, somewhere is contacting something to make the noise but I just cannot find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be the right hand front wheel bearing, is the noise coming from that area?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Peter,

Yes, it is and I reckon you're right. I was hoping it would not be wheel bearings as I have no access to a hydraulic press to change them!

It may be significant that I first noticed the noise after a garage swapped the CV joint boot on that side because I just could not undo the hub nut. I broke my breaker bar after trying to undo the nut with a 6 foot length of scaffold pipe on the end...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Is that hub nut tight now? if its a little loose then you could get a rumble from there, When I get whelbearings changed the best I can do is to remove the hub assembly and take it to a chap I Know who has a fly press, they are pretty well tight in there and often take the press, some heat and big hammering to get the old ones out then a lot of care fitting the new ones.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is an easier way of getting them out. If you have an arc welder, run a ring of weld round the inside of the outer part of the bearing, when it cools it will shrink and should be relativly easy to remove. I use the same method for trailing arm bearings. To refit you will need a long 1/2" bolt or studding, with an assortment of large washers and spacers, sockets are useful, you can wind the new one into position.