Rear hub Bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Rear hub Bearings

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

First off,happy new year to you all,
Secondly, I wonder if some of you experienced folks can help me regarding
my Xantia rear hub bearings.
I will shortly be in the process of removing the rear suspension arms and replacing them and transfering the hub's over(hopefully) to the new arms.
What problems (from those of you who have changed/reconditioned them)can I expect to face with taking the hub assembly's apart.The haynes
bol reckons that the bearings are likely to be destroyed in the removal process :( Is this true? Will it be wise to have new bearings held in reserve just in case or am I being over cautious?
Any pointers will be greatfully appreciated :)
Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Steve, new bearings usually come with a hub attached or bare, they are allegedly difficult to fit, the rear arm bearings are surprisingly easy and quick, were it me I would overhaul the rear arms myself and keep my hubs! there are links on how to replace the rear arm bearings here
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide.html
Possible difficulties are ABS sensors seized into arm (disconnect under rear seat) Dismantling old bearings (big hammer!) Removal of old outer races (cut up plastic spacer tube and remove) theres a new one in the kit.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your reply.I will keep that thought in mind. :)

zxTd

Post by zxTd »

I have to agree with stewart "transplant the hubs to the new arms" the bearings can be a mega pain and if there is nothing wrong with them what a waste that would be :idea: :wink:
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hmmmm,I have recon arms ready and waiting to go in(no hub assembley though).I understand what your'e saying and seems to make sense.
Might have to have swear box near by and plenty of paracetamol for the pain you mentioned when doing the job then!!
Thanks for your thoughts once again.
Steve :)

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when and if you damage the hub bearings whilst removeing them,if they are like BXs you cant just get the bearings you have to buy the hole hub,when removing BX rear hubs usualy the inner race of the inner bearing pulls out and stays on the stub axel,then you damage it on removing from the stub axel,,with rear arm bearing replacement once you have the arm in a vice drift out the centre metal tube and remove all of rollers,inner races,spacers and seals,then if you have access to a mig put a blob of mig on to opposite sides of the outer race mind you dont weld the outer race to the arm,when you have done that you will be able to drift the outer races out of the arm,i normaly reuse the plastic linner allthough it makes no odds as you get a new one with th kit,the only thing you dont get is the shim so if you can find the old one and its reusable then do so,otherwise you might have to buy the packet of asorted shims from citroen dealer
regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your pointers Malcom,appreciated.I recieved the new bearings
with hubs this morning.Taking a couple of days off next week to do the job(weather permitting as I have to this outside).