zx can't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

victor xt
My Cars:

zx can't start

Post by victor xt »

Hi mates, my 95' 1.4 zx avantage can't start, when you switch the key to start the car can't start and i can hear a sound like a fan coming out the engine(not clicks, nothing,just like a fan rotating), and on the 5 or 6 try, the engine start, what could it be?the starter is ok, it is rebuilt with its solenoid, i started to look for a ignition relay and this car doesn't use it, please,any help would be appreciated.

thanks again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is it the starter that rotates - making a rough metallic sound ?

Try use jump cables from a helper's car. May simply be a weak battery.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it might be that the starter is spinning and not beeing throne into mesh with the flywheel ring gear,or the ring gear teeth are worn away where the starter should engadge with it,you can test for this by putting the car in gear and move the car forward a little bit with the ignition switched off,this will rotate the flywheel to a point where there is good teeth,then try to start the car,if this works then you need a good second hand flywheel fitted or a new ring gear fitted
regards malcolm
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

thanks andersdk and citronut, the battery is good,the voltage and the load test is just fine, it's not the starter, it is good too, i think it could be a possibly faulted ignition switch, if so, where is it located? or is the ignition lock? where you put your key to switch this? sorry for my english but i don't know the technical word.

by the way........... happy new year !!!!!!!!!! :lol:
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Starter switch is at the base of the ignition barrel. To prove whether the problem lies here use a short length of cable to short across the terminals on the starter motor - please ensure the car is not in gear before trying this! (obvious, I know, but I once saw a 'mechanic' pinned against a wall when he got it wrong).

Stephen
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've got a similar problem with our 1.9D. Wouldn't re-start one morning when we were out in it - key turned but nothing at all seemed to happen. When we tried the light test the lights got BRIGHTER when the starter was operated!

To me the lights getting brighter suggests that the glow plug timer/relay cuts the power to the glow plugs - and meant that the ignition switch was working - as something happpened every time.

I tested the supply to the starter solenoid with a test lamp but while doing this the thing started - so I drove it home without any problem.

Subsequent testing suggests that there is a problem with the supply to the starter solenoid - not the heavy battery lead but the small one from the ignition switch.

There is a large multi-plug located by the nearside strut in the inner wing and certainly on the 1.9D it is inside a black plastic box. To get at it you have to undo/lift out the plate holding the relays/fuses and you will then see it - its rather superior and round with a screw securing ring. I believe the fault on our car is in there and separated the plug which seemed to be immaculate with one slightly dirty terminal. I cleaned it with switch cleaner and scratched the one dirty bit and all seemes much better but it still sometimes doesn't connect properly. I had to remove 2 plastic nuts in the bottom of the black box to loosen it to get my hand in.

As an emergency bodge - jump the starter. Put one end of the wire on the large terminal (battery +) and the other on the small terminal and the starter should spring into life at any time regardless of the position of the ignition switch. If this works you know the starter motor is working!

jeremy
jeremy
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

Hi, thanks for replies, i measured the starter and its solenoid and when my friend put the ignition switch at the start position, the sound was coming out directly from the solenoid,like it was stuck and sound like accumulating current, the voltage drop was about 1.3 volt more or less from 12.63 to 11,20.

So, what do you guys think then?

Cheers
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

shot battery/alternator, battery not charging or low fluid level "low cranking amps", jump start it if it starts suspect the battery then check alternator is charging it
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

also check the fuel cut off solenoid
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

thanks for that, the weird thing is that the battery is ok,when i start the car it shows a voltage like 10 volts, not less of 9 volts, so, the load test is ok, and the alternator gives a 13 to 14.3 volts at idle and light on, my problem is almost happening all the time,at the 5 or 6 try, the car starts with no problem at all, a couple of months ago, this was happened soemtimes, this car is driving me crazy :evil: after spending a US $1800 in spare parts,new clutch, new front suspension (sasic),new engine,and other stuff to name one of that.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

HI, i tried that but still the problem remains, could it be the solenoid starter? ( i mean for the sound that's coming out from him? )
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you tried jumping the starter motor as I suggested above. What happened?
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is the voltage still near 12v when the starter is engaged, albeit not turning the engine? if it is the the starter motor or solonoid is probably at fault. If the the battery is at fault the voltage will drop to 8v or less.
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

Finally i solved the problem mates, the cause was a faulty terminals at the battery, i replaced both and it never happened again :D , the starter spins faster, great improvement.

I forgot to start by the easy place :roll:

Thanks mates