Existential Xantia Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi to all,

I have a very deep existential question regarding Xantias in general. Are late (or all, for that matter) Xantias Hydractive 1 or Hydractive 2?

Thanks,
Rostami-in-hydractive-doubt
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

No Xantia's have Hydractive 1, but VSX, Athena (Athena=VSX at end of life cycle) and Exclusive models were fitted with Hydractive 2.

Activa's were fitted with a further development of Hydractive 2 that further controlled the roll when cornering.

However that applies to UK models, other markets may have had Hydractive 2 fitted according to 'local market requirements'.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Peter Mannn
My Cars:

Post by Peter Mannn »

My 1994 2.0i Xantia has no hydractive at all. Sigh.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

With the Australian market, only 'VSX' models were sold with hyperactive suspension. The SX's have BX suspension.

I do like the VSX, I think the extra complexity is worth it...

Oneday I'll get my wife a CT turbo Activa ... That'll tow the caravan well :D The 8valve slugomatic struggles up the hills.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I have Hydractive on my 16v Xantia, 1997, I never think to use it. For me, it may just as well not be there. Only more to go wrong and 2 more green balls to lug around. Okay if you want to drive like Fangio around country roads, or boy race around town. I do neither, so it gets ignored. I would swap car for a normal 6 ball LX model TD, anyday. Having said that, the 2 litre 16v lump fair wafts my car/caravan outfit along. Iwould miss that part, lol.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Re: Existential Xantia Question

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
I have Hydractive on my 16v Xantia, 1997, I never think to use it. For me, it may just as well not be there. Only more to go wrong and 2 more green balls to lug around. Okay if you want to drive like Fangio around country roads, or boy race around town. I do neither, so it gets ignored. I would swap car for a normal 6 ball LX model TD, anyday. Having said that, the 2 litre 16v lump fair wafts my car/caravan outfit along. Iwould miss that part, lol.
Regards,
Greg
It's not the handling so much as the much more 'Citroen' like ride quality. The Xantia VSX rides better than my CX GTi Turbo (though not as well as a 'normal' CX).

You don't 'switch it on'. It's seemless. When driving you shouldn't know it's there. The car should just ride extremelly well, yet handle brilliantly.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Shayne,
According to official Cit handbook, if you leave switch up ( unlit ), then that is in Normal position, providig automatically maximum comfort levels. When switch down and lit, then that is Sport position, more suited to a sporting driving style, particularly on winding roads.
Ayway, like I said, Hydractive would not be at top of my list when looking for a car.
Regards,
Greg

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Gregg1100 wrote:Ayway, like I said, Hydractive would not be at top of my list when looking for a car.
Regards,
Greg
Thre's one thing to clear up here in defence of the VSX's system!!

It's ride IS MOST DEFINATELY markedly better than the BX derived system on the LX/SX spec suspensioned cars! FACT!

I own several VSX's and one boggo SX. The SX has had ALL it's spheres changed and doesn't match the others with a whole lot more body roll and it feels more 'undamped' [in fact more of a handful].

Confirming my feelings a fellow Cit nut of many years and a good pal hates his SX but loves his wife's VSX for the same reason!! He drives on a road to and from his house that resembles a dried out stone river bed and it eats car suspensions for breakfast. The only car he owned that truly smothered it like a hovercraft was a 1978 CX 2.4carb Safari - he still goes all misty eyed when there's the mere mention of it...

The ONLY criticism he had of it's suspension setup was the lower wishbone pivot bushes being too short - they should have been made wider like the XM and Xantias.

As always it horses for courses but at Shane says, you shouldn't realise it's actually working for you but you SHOULD feel the better handling & ride setup over all others. Now the Activa is a different story altogether but you're talking about the difference between Hydractive and NON hydractive Xantias.

I'm sure someone here would appreciate your VSX suspensioned car if you want to buy a 2.0i 16v SX for 99quid advertised not far from me to run instead...
:wink:

Andrew
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The correct answer is surely that it is there if you think that it is but if you cannot see it then it may not be there at all. :wink:
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Should'nt we simply conclude that a perfect ride is a matter of personal taste :?
Some want it stiff as a roller skate for "spirited performance" drive - others do not.
Some want it soft & fluffy for coasting around with an old and sore spine - restless to find a good and relaxing seat while they have to move themselves around - like me :evil:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Rostami, taking the example of the C5, lower spec models, like the 1.8 engine, have normal Hydropneumatic suspension. While other engines probably all come with HA2. i'll take to a former Cit salesman.

Please remember that HA1 appeared on XM MKi, while Xantia and XM MKII received HA2. HA1 has only an on/off type of suspension, while HA2 has a faster computer that continually switches betwen hard and soft mode.
The ACTIVA added anti-roll fucntions to HA2.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

AndersDK wrote:Should'nt we simply conclude that a perfect ride is a matter of personal taste :?
Some want it stiff as a roller skate for "spirited performance" drive - others do not.
Some want it soft & fluffy for coasting around with an old and sore spine - restless to find a good and relaxing seat while they have to move themselves around - like me :evil:
That may actually be the 'having your cake and eating it" scenario that is offered by the hydractive - spirited driving/cornering WILL lock the centre spheres out only giving the corner's damping for the boy racer whim when it takes you and then open back out into softer modus operanandi to pamper over the harsh stuff.

The bottom line is you must have GOOD CENTRE SPHERES on a VSX [or Xm for that matter]!!

If they're shot you're getting the spheres on the corners to do ALL the work and they're designed to work with the back up of the centre one's - NOT left on their own for everyday driving. That would defeat the whole object of the exercise somewhat!

What I don't understand is when people alter the set up of the hydractive with comfort spheres and then ONLY change the easy to get at corner spheres! They lose the whole 'tautening' firmer sport aspect of the car's dynamics yet the centre sphere's are STILL below par [through neglect or ignorance] so don't add any more damping in "normal" mode.

The way to enhance this properly is to open the jet diameter of the centre spheres and playing with their settings to get more 'wallow' softness and retaining the fine jetted normal corners to do the "sport" work.

Made quite a diffrence with the Xm 12v V6... :D

Andrew
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
I never said that Hydractive was any better or worse than standard. All I repeated was Citroens own words that in Sport mode, ride would be tightened up, --in Normal mode ride should be great. But you still have to switch between them, if you want one or the other, otherwise no point in having a switch. My Hydractive switch is permanently UP, UNLIT-OFF---so in Cits words, in Normal ride mode.
The ride may be better than BX, but the seats are junk compared with Bx seats, so it equals it all out. I have had a 1.6 Auto Bx, 3x1.9 Petrol Bx, a 1.7 Diesel and 2 x 1.9 diesels. PLus 3 Xantias, 2 of which were diesel, and this VSX 16v. Both diesels were LX. I am certainly not a stranger to Cit world. The 1 Bx was an H reg TZs 1.9 petrol, and with the good ride qualities and better seats, was every bit as good as this VSX.
Perhaps the hydractive spheres are knackered, but I am not going to throw money away on something that I won`t use anyway.My opinions only, based on my own Cit experiences. Perhaps it`s because I drive a truck all day, every day, and bum has got accustomed to harder ride. If anyone is desperate to have a VSX with Hydractive 2 on it, swap yout Lx TD for it, but it must be in excellent nick :shock:
Greg

HST

Post by HST »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi All,
I never said that Hydractive was any better or worse than standard. All I repeated was Citroens own words that in Sport mode, ride would be tightened up, --in Normal mode ride should be great. But you still have to switch between them, if you want one or the other, otherwise no point in having a switch. My Hydractive switch is permanently UP, UNLIT-OFF---so in Cits words, in Normal ride mode.
The ride may be better than BX, but the seats are junk compared with Bx seats, so it equals it all out. I have had a 1.6 Auto Bx, 3x1.9 Petrol Bx, a 1.7 Diesel and 2 x 1.9 diesels. PLus 3 Xantias, 2 of which were diesel, and this VSX 16v. Both diesels were LX. I am certainly not a stranger to Cit world. The 1 Bx was an H reg TZs 1.9 petrol, and with the good ride qualities and better seats, was every bit as good as this VSX.
Perhaps the hydractive spheres are knackered, but I am not going to throw money away on something that I won`t use anyway.My opinions only, based on my own Cit experiences. Perhaps it`s because I drive a truck all day, every day, and bum has got accustomed to harder ride. If anyone is desperate to have a VSX with Hydractive 2 on it, swap yout Lx TD for it, but it must be in excellent nick :shock:
Greg
OK, here's an experiment for you. Find a bumpy road and drive along at a constant speed. Press the sport button. Notice a change in the ride? There won't be any. Hard mode will only engage if you brake, accelerate or corner hard. This is documented clearly in Citroens technical literature.

Now find an empty roundabout and go round it 'briskly'. You'll notice very little if any roll with the switch in either position. The only difference it makes is how quickly the suspension switches from soft to hard and back again! The only time I engage sport is if I'm on a twisty road with a heavy load on the roof.

The system works so well you really can barely tell it's working: only the good ride and roll free handling give it away.

A further experiment. Brake to a stop with moderate to light decelleration and note how much the bonnet dips and then settles when you come to a halt. Now repeat with harder braking. The increased stiffness should be apparent if you stop quickly enough.

You may not think you are enjoying the effects of HA2, but if your car is working properly, you most definitely are, unless you drive at 30mph everywhere. If the hydractive spheres are shot your ride will be hard ALL the time. You can easily check if it is working properly: there are many threads about this.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi All,
I never said that Hydractive was any better or worse than standard. All I repeated was Citroens own words that in Sport mode, ride would be tightened up, --in Normal mode ride should be great. But you still have to switch between them, if you want one or the other, otherwise no point in having a switch. My Hydractive switch is permanently UP, UNLIT-OFF---so in Cits words, in Normal ride mode. Greg
You dont have to switch between the two options, possibly Citroen being 'clever' about what they've done with the suspension!!

In the normal "auto" option the car will electronically phase in and out of the TWO options [sport and auto], "sport" will ONLY give you the option with the corner spheres ONLY.

Could be your centre spheres ARE flat!! Try switching into sport and drive the car for a while and feel if there's any noticeable difference!

Andrew