RE Juddery Xantia again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davehughes
My Cars:

RE Juddery Xantia again

Post by davehughes »

Right. I've checked all the things you suggested. The rear/lower engine mount looks like new. The garage (non dealer) that fitted it charged 67 quid for the part so I assume it wasn't just the rubber disc they replaced. The hoses all seem new and all connections are okay and the manifold nuts seem tight. I've adjusted the clutch both ways, this didn't seem to make any difference either. I've even slipped the clutch for 15 secs under load. Oh and I checked the bellhousing bolts as suggested and they're ok too. So what the hell is it?????????????????????/
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh dear! It all seems to point to the clutch iself then. If you let the clutch in slightly, enough to bite but not to pull away, can you feel it judder then? The only other possible thing I can think of is the throttle cable, it isnt hooked up somewhere so that when the engine moves it pulls on it?
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

Im sure it's not the clutch the judder is after I take my foot off the pedal. I've had this on a couple of old petrol engined cars in the past and never cured it and used to think it was the mixture, or ignition obviously on a diesel you don't have that but could the fuel pump be tweaked or something? The vacuum hoses all seem to be ok
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Does the engine tick over evenly after you have started it? because the only other thing I can think of is that it is misfiring on one cylinder, although this is very unusual with a diesel, especially if it ticks over OK. On petrol engines a misfire can occur when you open the throttle if the mixture or the spark are weak, but with a diesel when you open the throttle you are just putting more fuel in, so it should be less likely to misfire. Try the effect of slowly increasing the engine speed with the car stationary and see if that causes any vibration.
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

It runs a bit rough when started in the morning but once its warm is smooth as silk. I get the judder regardless of it being hot and cold. Im getting used to the car now so it doesn't judder as much. Just if i'm too jerky with the pedals.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well, you have checked just about everything I can think of. Does it have a throttle damper on the pump throttle lever? looks like a small shock absorber, the XM has one and they usually dont work, but the idea is that they damp out any sudden movements i.e. your foot going up and down on the pedal when the car is shuddering, if it hasn't got one it might be possible to fit one.

As you say this happens after the clutch is engaged, that pretty well rules out clutch trouble, so the only other possible causes are some slack somewhere in the transmission or feed back through the throttle cable. Pity I cant drive it, would give me a much better idea.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Can I throw the following possible causes in to the ring from my past experiences?
1 Oil contamination on the friction plate.
2 Friction plate springs slack or surface breaking up.
3 Severe wear in the drive shafts. Rag it around corners to amplify
the sound.
4 Sub frame mounts worn.
5 faulty brake caliper not releasing.
6 faulty clutch release bearing.

I have seen a few cars at 120k wanting clutches.
Best of luck, let us know the outcome.
Cheers!
John
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Considering again your point that this judder occurs after you have taken your foot off the accelerator still does not eliminate the clutch. If the response between the friction plate and the pressure plate is not even you will get a judder while the four surfaces settle down together.
Cheers!
John
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

I've slipped the clutch for 15-20 secs underload to burn anything off, the brakes have been overhauled just before I bought it last week, I've checked the engine mounts, but not subframe, the driveshafts are quiet. The previous owner had it since it was a year old and there is an excellent service history. The clutch was replaced at 80thou so I reckoned with the car being at 120000 I should see another 20-40 thou out of it although a change in owner/driving style can kill it quicker, but I don't thrash cars.

Peter N mentioned the damper on the accelerator. On the rear of the assembly there is something with a spring that the arm settles back on when it's at rest.
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

Maybe it is the clutch then. Surely the bottom mounting can't have worn out in 12 thousand miles. It's not the end of the world its only a daily driver and I'll just see what happens.

Had a look at the left hand mounting the other day. I love the way the haynes manual says simply remove battery tray and battery. They don't mention the resevoir and all the pipework do they??????????????
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I do hope it is not the clutch but I have seen them done in especially hydralic clutches in less than 30k miles, as some drivers think its OK to 'rest' the left foot on the pedal!
Cheers!
John
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

Well it ain't the lower engine mount! I've just changed it and it still does it.
Anyway I'm more preoccupied with my aching back and arms now!

Cheers

Dave
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Just thought I would throw this one in (personal experience). Check that all the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine are fitted!!!!
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4