Attempted theft & Xantia Key Fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

docbrown
My Cars:

Attempted theft & Xantia Key Fob

Post by docbrown »

I have a 1998 xantia TD unforutnately last night someone tried to steal the car (God knows why!) and bent the passenger door out of shape. In addition they managed to pop the drivers side lock so the key now enters but does nothing.
I can now only get in using the key fob or passenger side lock.

My dilema is that I only have 1 key fob and am now worried that I should make a plan to obtain another in case the fob fails. Can anyone advise whether I can get another used fob and program my car to accept or will I need to go to the dealer.

Oh yes forgot to mention, the thieves got away with nothing as my alarm must have scared them away and in addition the dead locks were active and the glovebox was locked.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
1998 Xantia 1.9 SX TD
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi ,plenty of posts on here , thats how I knew how to do mine, try a scrappy you might be lucky ,I was twice.
docbrown
My Cars:

Post by docbrown »

Forgot to mention I have a radio type key fob not the IR type. Can i program my car to accept another fob whilst still letting me use the original or is it a dealer job?
1998 Xantia 1.9 SX TD
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

remove key from fob and place in ignition turn to position (A) "have any fobs ready to program because you only have 10 seconds to program each of them",

sit in car with all doors shut but unlocked, hold fob less than 10 cm from the receiver and press lock/unlock button and repeat with any other fob ( you only have 10 seconds dont forget ), once done test fobs lock and unlock doors,

that's for up to 1998 later 1998 cars changed the system and require diagnostic tool to re-set the remote fob.

good luck :wink:
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Try this post for instructions for both types.
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

I have the data on both
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

great stuff m8, im color blind to certain colors so didn't see the obvious till I scanned the reply
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

Homer wrote:Try this post for instructions for both types.
8)
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

I saw this thread and as I've just bought an L reg Xantia with a dead plip, thought I'd buy one from a scrappy today. It looks the same as the one in the owner's handbook, but the threads that we are referred to say that the two button plip has a large and small button. Mine are both the same size; one for lock/unlock and one for deadlock. I've tried all your referral threads to try to code the little bugger to no avail. Does anyone have instructions for coding this plip. 1993 L reg Xantia 1.9 TD

Thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

is the remote plip the flip key type "key folds into it" buttons on the side both the same? if not you dont have the correct plip for the age of your car, the data supplied is the same for your car "you cant use a remote from another car it has to be blank"
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

davehughes wrote:I saw this thread and as I've just bought an L reg Xantia with a dead plip, thought I'd buy one from a scrappy today. It looks the same as the one in the owner's handbook, but the threads that we are referred to say that the two button plip has a large and small button. Mine are both the same size; one for lock/unlock and one for deadlock. I've tried all your referral threads to try to code the little bugger to no avail. Does anyone have instructions for coding this plip. 1993 L reg Xantia 1.9 TD

Thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What year car did the plip come from ?

As far as I know there are basically two types of remote plips for the Xantia - 1993 to 1997 series 1 Xantia's (such as my 1997) use an infrared plip.

This can be identified by the small infrared receiver window (which looks like a half dome) in the ceiling near the rear view mirror, and the transmitter plip has a clear LED in the end of it. Mine has the flip style key in the plip too, but I don't know if they all have that.

Cars with an alarm and/or deadlock need a TWO button remote, and cars without an alarm, like mine, have ONE button.

Now heres the interesting thing - the one and two button remotes are compatible. The only problem is that if you get a one button remote and have an alarm or deadlock you can't arm the alarm or set the deadlock, but you CAN still use it lock and unlock the doors.

How do I know ? Because my mum's 1993 1.9TD came without a plip, and I was able to program her car to recognise the plip from my 1997, and even though her car has an alarm (which she can't arm) my single button plip will lock and unlock the doors ok.

The series 1 style infrared remotes can be easily reprogrammed so that one plip can operate multiple cars, or so that multiple plips can operate the same car. Bear in mind it is the receiver in the car you're programming, not the plip itself. (Which just sends out a coded signal)

Series 2 cars from 1998 to 2001 changed to an RF style plip and they are not compatible with the older type. You'll notice that there is no receiver dome in the ceiling, and no LED in the plip.

I don't know what the situation is on reprogramability with these RF remotes, but it doesn't really concern you as your car will be the earlier type.

So have a close look at the plip you bought and see if it has an LED in the end, if it does, it should work. If it doesn't go back to the scrappy and exchange it for the right type. I had a bit of difficulty programming mums car to recognise my plip, I think what worked in the end was:

Turn the key on, and immediately point the plip at the receiver, and keep pressing the button on the plip over and over about once a second, for about 30 presses, then turn the key off. It seems to take a lot of presses - at least 10 or 20.

If you're still having no luck, either the plip is faulty, or the receiver in your car is faulty. (Or both)

On my plip there is a red light on the side that comes on - make sure that each time you hold the button down it comes on solid for half a second. When I got my car my plip was intermitant and when it wouldn't work the light would just flash very briefly.

I was able to fix it by very carefully soldering all the connections on the IC's but if you've only just got it from the scrappy go back and get a different one.

The other possibility is the receiver in your car is faulty. After trying in vain to program my Dad's 1994 SX to respond to my plip we finally decided the receiver was faulty. It can be very easily removed - just grasp the rear facing edge of the panel with the dome on it and hook it forwards and pull it down.

The receiver is the little box with the cable plugged into it and you can unplug it and substitute one from another car. For example when I plugged the receiver box from my car (already programmed to work with my plip) into my Dad's car, immediately it started working with my plip.

If possible, try to get a receiver box and its matching plip from the scrappy, and it should just start working when you plug it in. Or failing that, if the scrappy will let you try a few receivers and/or plips on their lot, just try plugging one into the ceiling of your car, and try the programing procedure before handing over the cash :)

Good luck.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

My plip is a 93 (same year as car) one, with folding key. It has 2 buttons the same size a red LED on the side that lights when the button is pressed and a white LED/bulb on the end. I also have the dome on the ceiling. The same plip is in the owners book that came with the car. Button A (top) locks and unlocks and B deadlocks it. My car has an alarm, central locking and deadlocking (its an SX TD). Also there were no batteries the plip. I put two in and the LED works alright when I press the buttons. So if this is the right one for my model year, there must be away of coding it?
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

davehughes wrote:My plip is a 93 (same year as car) one, with folding key. It has 2 buttons the same size a red LED on the side that lights when the button is pressed and a white LED/bulb on the end. I also have the dome on the ceiling. The same plip is in the owners book that came with the car. Button A (top) locks and unlocks and B deadlocks it. My car has an alarm, central locking and deadlocking (its an SX TD). Also there were no batteries the plip. I put two in and the LED works alright when I press the buttons. So if this is the right one for my model year, there must be away of coding it?
Yes it should program. I'm not 100% sure but I think the procedure is the same with the the two button plips - use the button which locks/unlocks the doors for programming. (A in your description)

As I suggested, turn the key on, then press the button repeatedly about 30 times with it pointing at the receiver in the ceiling, then turn off the key, that should be all thats needed.

You might want to try the procedure more than once with variations on the time intervals between pressing and how many presses if it doesn't work at first. (I had to try it about 3 times before I succeeded, not sure why, and I was on the point of giving up)

If you still can't get it to work, and you've never used a remote plip on that car before, it's quite likely that the receiver unit in the ceiling is faulty, as I suggested before. If the receiver stopped working with a previous owner they may have thrown away the plip even though it was fine...see if you can try another receiver in that case.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive