Xantia clutch cable clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sick as a parrot

Xantia clutch cable clip

Post by sick as a parrot »

Hi!!! has any one changed the clutch cable and the dreaded plastic clip without taking the dashboard out ive pulled the carpet out from pedal area and theres very little access,thanks paul.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a string on here somwhere which indicated that you can cut off the head of the pin through the pedal arm, and replace it from the other side. I have no doubt someone will find it for you.
sick as a parrot

thanks pete,what was citroen thinking when they come up with the plastic clip thing more trips to the dealers no doubt :shock:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you read all the threads about this topic you will find some posts from me that state there is no need to chop cut butcher in any shape or form,as this bolt dose come out allbeit tight for space
regards malcolm
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

citronut wrote:if you read all the threads about this topic you will find some posts from me that state there is no need to chop cut butcher in any shape or form,as this bolt dose come out allbeit tight for space
regards malcolm
Not so I'm affraid, on my own car a 97 td lx, I was able to coax the bolt out, just.

I did a clip on a workmates car, same model and year and was well pissed at having to saw the bolt head off on that one, there was absolutely no way that bolt would come out with its head on.

The only difference in the two cars was his had a manualy adjusted clutch cable, mine has the automatic adjuster, but that shouldn't make any difference to the operation as both pedals are the same except for the placement of the spring.

Dave

"what was citroen thinking when they come up with the plastic clip thing"

What all other car manufacturers think once you have bought your car, f***'em not our problem.
den169
My Cars:

clutch clip

Post by den169 »

Had to replace the clip in my 98 xantia estate no chance of the bolt coming out we cut it off and then put a new one in the other way round .I took the front seat out made it much easier to do it took me and a m8 an hour and a half no need to touch the dash.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

sick as a parrot wrote:what was citroen thinking when they come up with the plastic clip thing
This problem is a bodgie that only affects right hand drive cars.
They got it right for their own.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
sick as a parrot

Thanks for the info peeps i know this is a common prob on the xantia but i been told by a mechanic that the clutch is on its way out when these clips break or is he just tryin to pull a quick £400 for a new clutch, ive tried a search on here for threads btu dint find any.paul.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If the clutch is worn, it will slip, and/or the pedal will be heavy.
When the pedal is heavy, the clip is more likely to break.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
sick as a parrot

The clutch aint slipping and pedal feels the same as it did when i got the xantia in march 05 and ive covered 14,000 miles since then.paul.
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

It IS possible to change the clip without removing the dash or sawing bolt heads off, I've done it!

You need very long nosed pliers, patience & determination.

But it's so so awkward, You try getting the clip on a thousand times, then on the thousandth & one time it goes on!

Don't want to do the job again though.[/u]
sick as a parrot

Well ile have a go at it and let u know how it goes,thanks paul.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I remove the instrument pod and there is a clear path to the plastic clip through a hole in the body behind the panel.
You can remove the panel without dropping the steering culumn if you are careful.
Cheers!
John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sick as a parrot wrote:Thanks for the info peeps i know this is a common prob on the xantia but i been told by a mechanic that the clutch is on its way out when these clips break or is he just tryin to pull a quick £400 for a new clutch, ive tried a search on here for threads btu dint find any.paul.
£400 thats a rip off or im doing myself when i charge my customers £140+ parts,and it usualy is a sign the clutch is on its way out,because as they get near the end of there life the pedle gets very heavy so it puts more load on the clip,i have also done quite a few of these clips on customers cars and never as yet had to resort to hacking and butchery
regards malcolm
den169
My Cars:

clutch

Post by den169 »

2 years since i did mine still on same clutch.