xantia stop light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevecritchlow
My Cars:

xantia stop light

Post by stevecritchlow »

Hi All
The stop light on the dash of my Xantia 2.1TD has started coming on a lot. I can't find any perfomance defects with the car so am not at all sure whats causing this.

I recently changed the rear pads and disks, but the light didn't start showing for a week or so after this, so this could be a red herring. Using the footbrake often causes the light to come on, but not all the time, and releasing the brake doesn't put the light out.

Any ideas on whats causing this problem. I intend selling the car soon so really need to cure this. The LHM fluid is topped up, the suspension seems to rise OK, and all the fluids are OK for level.
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

one more thing, my central ocking has started playing up on the passenger front door. This has happened at about the same time as the stop light problem. Could there be any connection?
Steve
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

That it comes on when the brakes are used suggests that the accumulator is flat. how frequently does th regulator tick? Loads of posts on this subject - many by me.
jeremy
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

How is your LHM level ? As fare as I remember, the rear calipers are "almost" taken appart when one changes the disks, maybe a smallis leak ?
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

LHM is OK, I've checked that.

jeremy, I presume you mean the accumulator sphere? what should I be listening for when I check that in the morning? What does it sound like if its flat?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If its flat then it will be ticking pretty much all the time....worse case every second for example....a healthy one tends to tick every 30 seconds and more....mine is about 20 seconds... Although i could be talking about something totally different :shock:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: xantia stop light

Post by Mandrake »

stevecritchlow wrote:Hi All
The stop light on the dash of my Xantia 2.1TD has started coming on a lot. I can't find any perfomance defects with the car so am not at all sure whats causing this.
When you say the stop light is coming on, there should be another light coming on to tell you what the actual problem is...as the STOP light will come on with almost ANY problem, including engine management problems.

Is it the hydraulic light ? (The exclamation mark inside a circle)
I recently changed the rear pads and disks, but the light didn't start showing for a week or so after this, so this could be a red herring. Using the footbrake often causes the light to come on, but not all the time, and releasing the brake doesn't put the light out.
Is this while the engine is running ?
Any ideas on whats causing this problem. I intend selling the car soon so really need to cure this. The LHM fluid is topped up, the suspension seems to rise OK, and all the fluids are OK for level.
Just checking here, but you are checking the LHM level with the suspension at maximum height with the engine idling, right ? And the orange disc is between the two lines ?

Only two things will cause the hydraulic light to come on - the level sensor connected to the float on the tank, and the high pressure switch connected to the main system pressure, that comes on if the pressure is below about 100 bars. (135 to 170 bars is the normal regulated pressure)

To see if its the tank sensor, try temporarily (!) disconnecting the two wires connected to the float level sensor on top of the tank, and see if it still happens.

If it still happens then I would be a bit worried about that, as it shouldn't be possible for the pressure to drop below 100 bars during normal driving even if the accumulator sphere was flat.

Possible suspects could include an air leak on the HP pump inlet pipe, a sick pump, leaking bleed or non return valves in the regulator, or leaks elsewhere in the system.

From your description it sounds more like the tank level sensor to me.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

Hi all...its Steve here. the asker of the question.

let me clarify a little to see if anyone can give me some more pointers. My car is a 97 2.1TD Xantia. I am refering to the rectangular "STOP" light which comes on. It tends to remain on for ages at start up, (several minutes) and then eventually go out. It comes on and off randomly, but it commonly triggered by touching the foot brake while driving, turning to the right while driving, or driving on bumpy or camberd roads, although it often triggers off randomly, and doesn't always do it in the above circumstances. i've just done a 50 mile round trip, the ar seems fine, and this lighthas perhaps been on for about 5% of the time.

It is only the red STOP light that illuminates, and no other. does this preclude the problem from being hydraulic?

I tried listening to the accumulator sphere but couldn't hear any ticking at all. You do mean it ticks with the engine running don't you? How pronounced is this ticking above the engine noise?

I am probably going to end up at a main agent with a diagnostic computer, but if anyone can give me a helpful pointer I would appreciate not having to spend so much on a car worth £900. Failing that can anyone recommend a good and suitable Citroen mechanic in the Stoke on Trent, Sheffield or Stockport areas. I'm from Buxton in North Derbyshire

Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems you have a failing warning lamp then - as you got to have a sub-circuit warning lamp to tell you whats going on. The stop lamp lit alone just tells you something is not right - it does not tell you where it is wrong.

These are the common problems setting off the stop lamp (and associated sub alarm lamp) :

1) low LHM level or pressure
2) low engine oil pressure (usually caused by low engine oil level)
3) low coolant level
4) alternator not charging

I would IMMEDIATELY check the engine oil dipstick before driving the car any further. Then check the coolant level.
These are the 2 most fatal (to the car) warning points.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

and

5) Engine ECU detecting overheating - this is accompanied by the tiny red light at the top of the temperature guage - easy to miss, and mine has occasion come on for no reason (intermitant temperature sensor I presume) on mine and brought the main stop light on with it...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you have an owners manual, switch the ignition on and look for the warning light thats missing on the dash compared to the book.

Dave
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

right, I've tried daves tip and all the dash lights appear to come on when I turn on the ignition, and go out approximatly to the times suggested in the owners manual.

I naturally checked the oil level and antifreeze level as soon as the STOP fault reared its head, and they are OK. There is plenty of LHM in the system, a little too much in fact, and its all clean as is the filter.

Where should I go now, other than to a Japanese car dealer for something more reliable!!!

Steve
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Has anyone mentioned BITRON yet ?

I had a recent spell of intermittant STOP light but combined with the orange lamp above the temperature gauge.

I cleaned up the brown temp sender connector near the fuel filter/termostat housing and the intermittant flashing of the STOP lamp has gone away. This brown plug sends temperature info to the BITRON.

But, you have no other lamp other the STOP. Is it still possible that it could be from the BITRON unit ?

The BITRON controls the radiator cooling fans and some aircon giggerypokery. If it were this problem then you'd get another symptom of the radiator fans running on high speed.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Check your brake fluid level.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

This is a Xantia!

The brake fluid is the LHM fluid!

There is no separate fluid for the brakes, its one for all and all for one...well so to speak....or am i missing something???
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(