Xantia 2.0 autobox valuation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 autobox valuation

Post by andmcit »

I'm shopping for a working autobox and I've just found one to get a very nice car going again. Has anyone had any experiences in this area and can suggest what value it should be selling for?

Andrew
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The only experience I have in this area is once buying a "working" BL transverse manual box from a scrappers- which was a mistake as I couldn't test it and it was no better than the one it replaced.

In retrospect I would only in future buy one with a working car attached, but thats only my experience!!!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

bxbodger wrote:The only experience I have in this area is once buying a "working" BL transverse manual box from a scrappers- which was a mistake as I couldn't test it and it was no better than the one it replaced.

In retrospect I would only in future buy one with a working car attached, but thats only my experience!!!
I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! The auto box I've my eye on is in a working car though the seller seems to think the box on it's own is worth MORE than the car complete.

Hence the query about what everyone would consider to be the 'going rate' for one! While I've got used to getting cars for SMALL money I'm not used to people after BIG BIG money for second hand parts!!

Andrew
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Very often the donor car IS worth more once dismantled..... who wants a donor car stuck on their drive when all they wanted was a gearbox/engine/seats/etc etc. but of course I totally agree with seeing the req'd part operating first.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

For a good tested box with clear red fluid in it (not brownish!) it should be available out of the car for £100.
Cheers!
John
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

JohnT wrote:For a good tested box with clear red fluid in it (not brownish!) it should be available out of the car for £100.
That's what my gut instinct says! Glad you've confirmed my thoughts, thought I was being especially mean. :wink:

I just wish the seller of this one saw things the same way... :(

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 24 Dec 2005, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Make the guy an offer and be prepared to walk away. If you are prepared to play the waiting game, wait a few weeks, the seller might be more receptive to your offer. Its worth a bit extra to be able to see the gearbox working. A recon box for the 405 is £500 if that any help to you.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I'd source and Activa gearbox (roller bearing gears, hydraulic clutch etc....) and perform a conversion :D

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)