CRASH

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

CRASH

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well if the average motorist could see this, then maybe they would think twice before pulling too close in front of a truck, and taking away the trucks braking distance.

It really is amazing that they forget physics, and common sense, and think that a much bigger, and heavier vehicle can stop as quick as a car.

They needed various cars in the clip to prove their point, they even used a 2CV. :(

Here's the link to the clip.

http://uk.download.yahoo.com/pr/fu/oa/truckcrash.wmv
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

:shock: I don't think it matters what car was at the back of the queue, 2cv or not!!! Watch the Beetle- its an old design with no crumple zones and it shows- the occupants of the cars either side of it would be in a lot better shape, despite their cars being mashed.

We had a bad one like that locally on the M11 a couple of years back- queing traffic and a sleeping HGV driver which resulted in an entire family being wiped out, and there was another on the A1 a few weeks ago-the HGV driver was arrested but it was a bit late for the woman and her kids in the BMW that was crushed.

I suppose the moral is leave yourself an escape route if you are at the back, and keep looking in the mirror!!!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Have come very close to such an incident in a Dyane (almost a 2CV) when some dozy plonker slammed on the anchors as he couldn't make up his mind what junction he wanted. We all screech a halt, Mr HGV brilliantly chooses swerve rather than brake and comes shooting past on the hard shoulder.

I am forever grateful to that one driver - proving that not all HGV or Volvo drivers should be banned from the road! In fact, I have a lot or respect for HGV drivers. The results are just so tragic when things go wrong...

Unhappy note for Christmas! Keep sober and enjoy!

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Keep sober and enjoy!
If you are driving I should add! Go crazy otherwise!!

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Aaahh. Once the wheels are locked, mass doesn't come into it, so long as the tyres provide the same coeficient of friction!

(Shouldn't be thinking of work on Christmas day!!)

Jamie
My other car is a motorbike: Honda VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 800 Fi
Current car: C5 Petrol 2.0 Exclusive Auto SE
Past cars: Xantia 2.0 Exclusive, Xantia SX, BX 19 GTi (possibly the best car I've ever owned), Visa GT etc etc
Oh, and my son's the proud owner of a Saxo VTR!